What's new
What's new

...Photos...British Rosies Contribute to the War Effort...

lathefan

Titanium
...A British war worker adjusts the tracks on a tank, 1940...

...A British ferry pilot of the Air Transport Auxiliary (ATA) signals to her flight crew while in the cockpit of a Super-marine Spitfire fighter, 1944. One of the many rolls of ATA pilots was to deliver newly manufactured aircraft to military airfields...

Nice to see she is wearing safety steel framed sandals for the tank adjustments!

Reminds me of an old girlfriend of mine, ...lovely girl but she suffered from ''blonde moments''

One stinking hot humid day, after 4 hours of burning 6mm iron powder coated rods building up subsoiler legs I was taking a breather outside the shop, cuppa smoke and top of my rompers down, and my feet in a bowl of cool water ;_ bliss.

In came Katy from her work ''Awww Sami darling, it's so hot you must be shattered,'' followed by kiss on the cheek. Very nice too! I told her there was tea in the pot, so helping herself, we had our usual ''how your day chat'' cuppa and smoke.

I was just putting me riggers back on when sIT CAME a bright chirpy ''Yeah! ....we'll see if we can find you some steel toecap sandals on Saturday Sami darlin''

Come on guys, think about it.
I'd say most photos were posed, it was all part of the propaganda machine.

Think how most girls were expected to get a so-so job get married and breed, .......compared to men, career women were few and far between, and the majority of girls were brought up to think ''I could never do that!'

So a bit of staging, - little or no TV, and the movie star mags etc etc were big sellers, so along with the right ''girl'' to photograph - they're nearly all feminine etc etc, and a good photographer,. Result;- 10's of 000's of girls and women thought ''Wow she looks good, .hey I could do that job, ...........and I'd be doing my bit.'' .........and when most of them found out what they would be paid, it was a done deal.

Women_workers_with_shells_in_Chilwell_filling_factory_1917_IWM_Q_30040.jpg

Canary girls - Wikipedia

Along with the ever-present risk of explosions, which happened on occasion.

Women_workers_with_shells_in_Chilwell_filling_factory_1917_IWM_Q_30040.jpg

Canary girls - Wikipedia

Along with the ever-present risk of explosions, which happened on occasion.

Point taken Greg, BOTOH, for the UK it was total war, AKA including mass indiscriminate attacks on civilians.

Plus for most of WWII, virtually the whole country was under air attack round the clock, under constant threat of sea born attack as were the whole country's life trade lifelines.

The entire country was under emergency powers, ......little was known about many processes, ........of necessity corners had to be cut, and even folk out in the country, well away from centres of population, production, and military installations suffered - everything from work accidents plane crashes and random attacks by lone raiders etc etc.

Fortunately few alive today have had tolive under such conditions - and no one ever said the whole deal wasn't without risk.

...Plus for most of WWII, virtually the whole country was under air attack round the clock, under constant threat of sea born attack as were the whole country's life trade lifelines.
...and no one ever said the whole deal wasn't without risk.

Limy, I have always had nothing but admiration for what you and your countrymen went through. We in the US also had a lot of great spirit, which I would never want to minimize, but I'd guess it is just a little bit easier to put forward great spirit when there are no bombs exploding down the street and when the pantry is full.

-Marty-