What's new

...Photos...Mesta Machine Company...

lathefan

Titanium
...Forging Press and her crew...

1amesta3.png

...Vertical Boring Mill...

1amesta2.png

...what I imagine were considered Forging Lathes...somebody needs to empty the Chip Bins...

1amesta.png

The contribution by Mesta to the steel making industry was significant.
Compare the rollers in this blooming stand to the last photo in post #1.
Blooming Mill 1965 .jpgBlooming Mill .jpg

Plate and Hot Strip
Entry Stand 134 inch plate mill .jpgSingle Stand Continuous Hot Strip 1940 .jpg

John Mohr and Son was located on the South side of Chicago.
Mohr made caissons for the Civil War.
The company had a very large fab shop and machine shop.
Ladles would be shipped by barge from USS Gary Works and offloaded
underneath the twin bridges of the Chicago Skyway.
Mohr made a lot of water cooled gate valves for blast furnaces.
I worked there when the gate valves were made for the new Inland Steel
blast furnace. At the time it would be the second largest in the country.
Here is a bottom tap ladle by Mohr.
Mohr Ladle Castor & Tundish.jpg
John

...Forging Press and her crew...

1amesta3.png

...Vertical Boring Mill...

1amesta2.png

...what I imagine were considered Forging Lathes...somebody needs to empty the Chip Bins...

1amesta.png

Man, these photos remind me so much of the machine shop I worked in at the Pearl Harbor shipyard when I was in the Navy. We had vertical boring mills of that size in the shop, though they seldom ran. The biggest I ever personally ran was a 48" vertical turret lathe. This brings back a lot of memories.

Looking more closely at the photo of the vertical boring mill photo, it doesn't look like the work-piece is clamped to the face-plate!:eek:

Looking more closely at the photo of the vertical boring mill photo, it doesn't look like the work-piece is clamped to the face-plate!:eek:

The bottom face is a reference surface. The part is centered and held by movable jaws. It may also be clamped to the table thru the bore in the bottom using the T-slots and parallels.
John

The bottom face is a reference surface. The part is centered and held by movable jaws. It may also be clamped to the table thru the bore in the bottom using the T-slots and parallels.
John

John,

Thanks for the clarification. I didn't think about the jaws or clamps being on the inside of the body.

The valve bodies I routinely turned on the vertical turret lathe had flanges, so the normal routine was to clamp the flange of the valve body to a large plate held in the chuck, under which I had placed jacking screws so that I could slightly tilt the plate to get the face of the valve seat running true. It was not uncommon to spend an hour setting one up for a five minute cut to true up the valve seat.

Kevin

John,
It was not uncommon to spend an hour setting one up for a five minute cut to true up the valve seat.

Kevin

Hey Kevin, this is when the set-up tooling makes you look smart when the job gets knocked out under quote.
In the photo there are four five inch diameter risers for the job to sit on. There were sets of these all shop made. All were kissed on the Mattison grinder for parallel sets. Drilled thru and tapped on the bottom and face for 3/4-10. Cross drilled for a 1" bar to tighten them down. 3/4" bolt with a jam nut and then skim cut parallel to the table. There were six table bars (G&L) that also used the risers. I did a lot of forged rings on the VTL and having the right set-up made them a gravy job.
Here is a photo with my set-up for California Steel bearing chocks for the new single high rolling mill about 1996. The rough cuts were about 1/4" on a side. Roughed out on the Bullard. Rough cuts on the G&L's. Finish on the Bullard then back to the Bars. Always had to set the taper on the left boring head. Once set the bores finished within a couple tenths or dead on top to bottom. 33 of them :D
Contiental Machine & Engineering.jpgCalifornia Steel Bearing Chock.jpgBearing Chock.jpgSmall Machine Bay.jpg
John

My home town Leechburg, PA was the origin of Mesta. From Beers Historical Record Chapter 14 - Leechburg Borough

The Leechburg Foundry & Machine Co. was built in 1887, destroyed by fire in 1888 and rebuilt in the following year. The capital of the company was $100,000 and the officers were: W. A. Cochran, president; George Moesta, vice president; W. D. Rowan, secretary; R. R. Moore, treasurer. In 1900 the plant was moved to Homestead, Pa., to be nearer the source of their orders.

Mesta Machine Co. - History | VintageMachinery.org

Mesta Machinery - Wikipedia

Mesta Machine Company Photographs | Historic Pittsburgh

Paul

Used to make repair parts for the Mesta downcoiler. The finished sheet metal is wrapped around an expanding mandrel. That is how the coils of steel are wound. Looked for a photo but have not found one. Instead here are a few others.
Plate Mill Roughing Stand.jpgPlate Mill~.jpgCold Shear-end cutting plate 1920.jpgFinished Plate at Inland Steel 1920.jpgHot Strip 1950.jpg
John

Hey Kevin, this is when the set-up tooling makes you look smart when the job gets knocked out under quote.
In the photo there are four five inch diameter risers for the job to sit on. There were sets of these all shop made. All were kissed on the Mattison grinder for parallel sets. Drilled thru and tapped on the bottom and face for 3/4-10. Cross drilled for a 1" bar to tighten them down. 3/4" bolt with a jam nut and then skim cut parallel to the table. There were six table bars (G&L) that also used the risers. I did a lot of forged rings on the VTL and having the right set-up made them a gravy job.
Here is a photo with my set-up for California Steel bearing chocks for the new single high rolling mill about 1996. The rough cuts were about 1/4" on a side. Roughed out on the Bullard. Rough cuts on the G&L's. Finish on the Bullard then back to the Bars. Always had to set the taper on the left boring head. Once set the bores finished within a couple tenths or dead on top to bottom. 33 of them :D
View attachment 289446View attachment 289447View attachment 289448View attachment 289449
John

John,

That is awesome!

Kevin

Back