What's new
What's new

Pic of 1917 hardinge QC

Markusfu

Stainless
Attached is a practice pic of a hardinge lahte made in 1917. It has a built in travel dial.

hardingeQC.jpg

Nice..... one of the "ones that got away" was one of these with the cast iron legs and little trays...... It was bought new in 1916 with lots of attachments and only used for home shop use. in Washington D.C. ..... a friend of mine is the happy 2nd owner of it.....

Markusfu,

That lathe has some rather advanced features for such an early date.

In addition to the QCGB, it has a drive screw for the power cross feed which is separate from the lead screw.

What tapers are in the head and tail stocks?

JRR

Rivett608- please ask your friend that has the hardinge QC,what his serial number is. I'd like to compare it with mine.

JRR- the tailstock bore is #2morse. I'll have to check n the headstock.

Markus

SouthBendModel34--I don't know what I was thinking when you asked "what the taper was on the headstock"--It has no taper- It is a threaded hardinge spindle that uses 5-c collets.

Markus

Mark: How big is that lathe? by the doors in the pedestals it looks like it could be about a 14" lathe but I know it's smaller than that.

Chances are it's a 9" swing machine.

I suspect the round thing under the
bed is a rack of 5C collets.

Oddly enough if you zoom in on the cast
iron doors on the pedestals, they say
"Rong Fu Metalworking Factory, PRC"

smile.gif

Jim

I've always liked machines with little
cast iron doors on them. Amazing how
well they copied the hardinge name...

smile.gif

I'm still gonna stand by my guess of
9" swing though.

Jim

Nice picture. I have that exact model lathe in my shop. Details about it can be found at "www.lathes.co.uk/cataract/page21.html". From the information there it is called a Cataract toolroom & optical work lathe. It is also refered to as a Cataract Quick Change Swing Precision Lathe. Apparently spacer blocks were sold to raise the headstock, tailstock, and tool post from 4.5 inches to 7.5 inches or from a 9 inch swing to a 15 inch swing. Wish I had that kit. Yes the round lazy susan on the bottom is a rack for collets which are 5C. These lathes started in production during World War I. Mine is S/N 207. Apparently Hardinge joined with Cataract lathes about that time.

Cheers

Dick- Thanks for the info. Is yours up and running?. Mine is serial no 44.

How about a pic of yours?

Thanks
Mark

Here is a picture of one with base from a ad in a 1927 American Machinist...... I just don't think Rong Fu could ever copy one of these.....
catractlathe.jpg

Markusfu - Yes mine is in perfect running order. I have the taper attachment which I see yours appears to have also. My motor is on an arm that puts it overhead. The motor has an integral gearbox that provides 4 speeds. Mine has the tray, legs, and collet rack just as in the picture Rivett608 posted. Let me figure out how to post a photo.

cheers

Markusfu - You can see a pic of my lathe by going to an earlier post on this board. Go to "Bridgeport and Hardinge Mills and Lathes" then look around Jan of this year for a thread titled "Hardinge/Cataract flat belt shifter set" I responded in that thread with the thought that what was being offered might be parts to the original drive system of these lathes. Follow the thread down a bit. If you have interest in additional photos I have some from before and after restoration.

While at it, I would be interested in any manuals or sales literature regarding these lathes. Any one out there have any??

Cheers

Dick- I may be able to find the overhead drive somewhere and post a pic or get any measurements if that would help.

Markus

Markus -

I would be interested in seeing the original drive system if you happen to find one. I will send you by Email a picture that I got off this board a while ago that shows these lathes with an overhead motor system installed. There may have been more than one system available. Obviously these lathes were made to be driven by an overhead lineshaft and it appears that these motor units were an afterthought. The motor and bracket I have functions quite well but I get only 4 spindle speeds. The system shown in the picture I am going to send you has 12. I would be quite interested in seeing the spacer block system that was available to increase the swing.

Cheers.

I was just looking through a 1915 Hardinge/Catract catalog copy and see they made this lathe also in a flat turret type with a bar type thread chaser on it.... used the same base, trays but put them on the other side, bed, and a headstock w/o backgears..... they made a lot of cool stuff to fit these.

Nice looking pic, Don, thanks

That lathe must be almost the record holder for the combination of really heavy bed and wussy little headstock and swing. At least I'll bet its rigid against any cutting forces that little h/s and its bearings can possibly take.

Back