What's new
What's new

Picked up a drill press

Bbk_Bbk

Aluminum
I went to get my new jig borer yesterday and saw this cute little drill in the corner, can anyone help me identify it. It's clearly very high end, I believe it's German. On the back is a variable speed drive that is 220/400 3 phase, but the fella I bought it from had put a little 110v AC motor on it.
2411e774d207567d4005f01ccdc31931.jpg
6ceff1ad75eae53d20c04331cffb3bf2.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

The electrical tag says Frei Brothers. Onstmettingen is a town in the southwest corner of Germany, south of Stuttgart.

Bohr. Gew. is German for drill tap. Too bad the OEM motor is gone.

The chuck looks like a Rohm keyless Supra drill chuck, their middle quality (Spiro is the best line). These are both self-tightening chucks, like the Albrecht, and will not work for tapping. A German machine may have a B taper spindle rather than a Jacobs taper, should you wish to change the chuck.

ROHM - Quick-action drill chuck Supra
ROHM - Spiro 6 High Precision Keyless

Lots of hits on Google. Here is a spec sheet that says the spindle is B12 and the 2012 list price was over $4500:
Bench
The drill was built by Solid Automation in Germany.

Larry

Hey thanks for the info Larry. I believe the original motor is inside.I was given the original parts for the entire machine,accept the manual as he could not find it.But is calling if he does. I will probably leave the machine as is and just enjoy using it daily. I have several tapmatics and many machines so my tapping needs are pretty well covered.

I do use a ton of small drills between #55 up to a #19. Everyday. I make custom knives by hand with all of my old machines.I think this little drill will be excellent for running the small drills.

I also picked up a linley jig borer That is basically brand new. It indicates at zero.the dial didn't budge on a 6" circle plate. I have not indicated the drill yet but I was told it is the same, I'll need to make a 1/4" Holder for my indicator to have a look. I'll share photos of the linley if anyone cares to see?

Ok so the middle pulley,is attached to the motor, it's driven by the center pulley instead of the rear on more recent machines. You can give get a feel for it here.
bdf4a9c1a5f69ef46cb5e687c3e85311.jpg

Back