What's new
What's new

Pipe threader lathe ?

here's a picture of the facebook one for future lookers.

Attachments

• 246435177_3869923599776733_3756420391214188240_n.jpg
    246435177_3869923599776733_3756420391214188240_n.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 89
Long before the days of the Rigid pipe threaders dedicated machines like the one in the
picture were used. Rigid just made a more compact, portable unit...

Never called pipe threaders ,but bolt threaders .Landis bolt threaders........I ve scrapped lots of them.....simple fact is they are only useful if you get a big load of new chasers with them......and as there must be a million different chasers ,the correct ones for the head.

Never called pipe threaders ,but bolt threaders .Landis bolt threaders........I ve scrapped lots of them.....simple fact is they are only useful if you get a big load of new chasers with them......and as there must be a million different chasers ,the correct ones for the head.

I would go with bolt threader. Most of these are limited to perhaps 2" diameter simply on the arrangement of the self-centering jaws or the die collet.

Larger pipe threaders DID exist. I'll see if I can find a pix online.

Better than that - a previous discussion here on PM. Bolt threading machine ?

And a large one elsewhere. This for up to perhaps 8" pipe?

american-engineer-and-railroad-journal-ew-pipe-threading-and-cutting-machine-a-new-size-of-pipe-threading-and-cutting-off-machine-knownas-the-p-d-q-c-no-6-has-recently-been-brought-out-by-thebignall-keeler-mfg-co-edwardsville-111-the-machine-isparticularly-adapted-for-shops-having-large-quantities-of-pipe-ofone-size-to-thread-at-one-time-it-is-equipped-with-a-quickoperating-chuck-controlled-by-a-hand-wheel-and-pinion-whichengages-in-a-segment-gear-on-the-end-of-the-cone-shifting-armthe-cone-slides-freely-on-the-arbor-as-it-is-moved-forward-roll-ers-on-the-ends-of-the-chu-2CRDJG0.jpg

Joe in NH

Big threaders for sure...friend of mine took some Charles Taylor threaders in lieu of rent.....one was 10",the other 12"...massive machines,pipe is loaded in thru a fold out part of the rotary head..........The threader in the pic is a vintage Landis ,possibly 1900-1920....I can pick a Landis no trouble,they have many distinctive features.....I have a big box of the Landis swinging chaser holders,saved because of the brilliant colour case hardening on them....Beautiful stuff made around 1900.

I did some repair work on a monster Landis pipe threader back in the late 1970's, my boss at the time bought to resale. It would handle up to 14" OD pipe or casing as we use in the oilfield. Sorted thru hundreds of chaser to get them into sets and send out to be sharpen. What a mess that was! Went to a shop down in Veracruz Mexico.

Back