What's new
What's new

A Pittler Lathe rescue

Capnbirdseye

Plastic
I've just rescued a Pittler lathe from a shed. The previous owner bought it a few years ago with the intention of learning metalwork but never got it up & running, he could not fathom how the headstock gearing fitted together so it was abandoned.

It was recently on Ebay but it ended and nobody bid so as it was only 20 miles away I went to have a look. It was in a tiny shed surrounded by boxes of various stuff, the countershaft was on the floor behind it but I managed to have a look.

It's the actual B2 lathe with serial number 1253 as shown on the Lathes.co.uk website. It shows the lathe and quite clearly the gearing on the Headstock banjo is not connected as parts are not inserted. I did find the missing parts in the included boxes of items when I got it home as if missing it would have been a problem.

As it was not running I was very wary so made him a reasonable offer and he accepted it although he had also relisted the lathe on Ebay.

I did Email Tony Griffiths to ask when it was (presumably) sold by him but not had a reply yet.

It has an overhead countershaft and somewhat complicated looking pullies and belts which at present are not all connected as I have no idea what goes where. A full set of gears and worms, both steadies, faceplate etc all numbered 1253 plus several chucks, tailstock & headstock items with drawbars, indexing equipment and three boxes of various tools.

Getting the lathe out was very difficult, right in front of the shed was like an obstacle course as a new building construction was right in front of the shed, luckily my son has access to a flatbed with tail lift and with two of his friends managed to get it to the lorry,

It was in desperate need of oil so I made sure everything was tended to and got it up and running in no time. Everything is there, nothing appears missing so I'm quite happy with it as a second machine to my Holbrook model B8 which is right next to it!Pittler.jpg

Last edited:
I've just rescued a Pittler lathe from a shed. The previous owner bought it a few years ago with the intention of learning metalwork but never got it up & running, he could not fathom how the headstock gearing fitted together so it was abandoned.

It was recently on Ebay but it ended and nobody bid so as it was only 20 miles away I went to have a look. It was in a tiny shed with the countershaft on the floor behind it but I manged to have a look.

As it was not running I was very wary so made him a reasonable offer and he accepted it although he had also relisted the lathe on Ebay.

It's the actual B2 lathe with serial number 1253 as shown on the Lathes.co.uk website. I did Email Tony Griffiths to ask when it was (presumably) sold by him but not had a reply yet.

It has an overhead countershaft and somewhat complicated looking pullies and belts which at present are not all connected as I have no idea what goes where. A full set of gears and worms, both steadies, faceplate etc all numbered 1253 plus several chucks, tailstock & headstock items with drawbars, indexing equipment and three boxes of various tools.

It was in desperate need of oil so I made sure everything was tended to and got it up and running in no time. Everything is there, nothing appears missing so I'm quite happy with it as a second machine to my Holbrook model B8 which is right next to it!

Back