What's new
What's new

Pittler lathes information

Capnbirdseye

Plastic
Has anyone got a Pittler lathe who can take a measurement for me? I need the diameter of the circular carriage block that the cross-slide bracket swivels on (and some of the attachments are fitted). Mine is 78mm, measured across the clamp of it's traveling steady.
I want to see if there is a similarity or a wide variation as I'm seeking other attachments which may or may not fit.

I'm particularly looking for the original supplied cross-slide, the type on a vertical stem that can be swiveled in all directions. Mine has the extra long compound slide mentioned in old ME magazines by George Gentry but it does not permit the multiple angles of the original

Last edited:
Hello,
I have #682 trumpet base with the style of cross slide you are looking for. It is approx. 78mm also. There may be a difference between those manufactured in Germany by Pittler and the ones made under licence in England. Let me know how I can help. Reg

Hello,
I have #682 trumpet base with the style of cross slide you are looking for. It is approx. 78mm also. There may be a difference between those manufactured in Germany by Pittler and the ones made under licence in England. Let me know how I can help. Reg

Hello Reg, thanks for your reply,

you have a different type to mine and yet the dimension I'm interested in appears to be the same, mine was German made according to it's nameplate, it's the same one (number 1253) shown at the bottom of the B2 Pittler page on the lathes.co.uk site.

I doubt you can help me any further Reg, unless you have a spare cross slide for for sale, even then I would still need the swiveling bracket clamp. My only hope is someone selling one for a reasonable price, Googling Pittler shows they do pop up now & again, one appeared on Gumtree last year ( before I got my own lathe) complete with several attachments,a full set of collets & gears for £320. I would have bitten their hand off for that!

My Pittler is a B2 screw cutting lathe, 3.5"x 11". From what I can see yours is a B2 #2 screw cutting lathe with a long bed as it has the screw feed engage lever on the headstock. The picture gives the impression of having more than 3.5" to centre. Reg

Hello Reg,

mine is 17" centres but it is a 3.5" height, what is very peculiar on mine is that the cross slide cannot be removed without dismantling the tailstock end to slide it off. There is only one bolt instead of two to enable it to be lifted off. There are parts of the original tool clamp and also a T rest included among the boxes of stuff I got with the lathe so it must have originally had the swiveling toolpost at one time.
George Gentry in his 1940 articles mentions a special long cross-slide and this must be one. Vic

Last edited:

Back