What's new
What's new

Planer Mill

If it is so desirable now then buy it. They ruined a nice antique, if you want a modern machine then buy a modern machine and don't bastardize an antique.

I was thinking the same thing! In its own way its more desirable

Actually, the planer mill was a very useful machine tool. We ran it up until the day that we bought a Fadal 20x50 mill. (I realize that the boxy modern machine is frowned upon here, but I had to feed my family, and the more modern CNC fit the bill.)

I will reduce the price of the planer mill in case anyone is interested.

If it is so desirable now then buy it. They ruined a nice antique, if you want a modern machine then buy a modern machine and don't bastardize an antique.

Why not? I've got 2 planers, one of them will likely end up with a B/port head fitted to it and the drive converted to a ball screw.

PDW

While it's a shame the parts were lost to use as a planer at least the bulk of the machine has been preserved, it could be turned back to a planer from the looks of it by someone skilled who has the time, I liken it to the many comehead lathes out there that would otherwise be Chinese toasters or being sold at harbor freight as "tools" if it were not for some horrible looking electric drive conversion that usually ditched the original countershaft and cone pulley, but at least the machine was kept useful and thus escaped the fate of becoming a useless pile of scrap that was taking valuable shop space.

That being said its a heavily modified 100 year old machine, I've seen unmodified planers with the parts intact go for less, I feel the price is a bit high for what it is, but it of course depends on your location and of course a willing buyer.

IfI wasnt 5000m or whatever away I would
Machines are machines no sentiments here if it cant earn a living it can go to the pot

Just curious what type of jobs y'all were running on this machine?

We were doing railroad work, one of our customers makes camera systems for rail. We also put a right angle head on there and used it to drill and tap very large NPT holes in explosion proof enclosures. There were some other jobs as well, being a job shop the word gets out that you have a long machine, and you grow in that area. That's how we were able to afford to buy the Fadal CNC.

I am still searching for a planer close enough to me list when I have spare cash.
To bad the parts to put this one bash is not available:( .

Believe it or not, there are TWO New Haven Planers listed on eBay, both of which have milling heads. One is a Bridgeport milling head, the other is an Enco milling head. One is in Georgia and the other in Louisiana. They are listed by different buyers. They are listed at different prices. I doubt this is the same planer listed twice. Evidently this is a popular conversion.

FWIIW, I am looking for either a large table top planer, or a small freestanding one. Please send me a message if you have one that you want to get rid of. I will know the right one when I see it. The New Haven above is 11' long, 3' wide and 8' +/- high, which is way too big for the available space in my garage.

Believe it or not, there are TWO New Haven Planers listed on eBay, both of which have milling heads. One is a Bridgeport milling head, the other is an Enco milling head. One is in Georgia and the other in Louisiana. They are listed by different buyers. They are listed at different prices. I doubt this is the same planer listed twice. Evidently this is a popular conversion.

The one with the Bridgeport milling head is step pulley. I have no objection, but the guys who work in my shop strongly prefer variable speed. Since I learned on a step pulley mill, it really doesn't matter to me either way.

The Bridgeport is $7500.00. There's also a Niles on there, $14,999. My asking price (starting bid) is $2500. I already have 55 views and 6 watchers.

By the way, we have a girl that works for our group of companies who is very good at logistics. She can probably get the buyer a screamin deal on freight to move this planer mill. When I bought my hydraulic press, it was in California. She found someone to move it for $250.00.

Back