What's new
What's new

Please help identify old lathes, mills, equipment (was Vintage info)

soon2bwelder

Plastic
Not sure if this is correct place to send pics to but only way I found to do so.anyway I bought a storage unit with these two lathes in it.plus 2 mills a surface and a shaper.but am going to focus on these lathes before the rest of machines.any info that will point me in right direction as to how to operate value or anything at all will be greatly appreciated.thank you very much
f64dce149d1e942bbd55fbf04b093ed3.jpg
1b8eaa4487ef9c808a70aeef082135a8.jpg
33e2ead7d5c135374624a2257d3385a9.jpg
cfdaad796ce407dcbb6e7f7f43b90a50.jpg
ece34877b86fe266530af9f1af6d62ef.jpg
21fb275356d7dcdcdcfe0d72b517b4f5.jpg
826184c5a1e288e852f23e245ec12367.jpg

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Extension sliding bed gap Putnam from around 1901 on the first one

16 32 and a half.jpg

Scan from 1901 Manning, Maxwell and Moore catalog - whose plaque is on this Putnam. They later owned the make

Second lathe has a QC gear box quite a lot like a Monarch "A"

Last edited:
I like the creative use of the compressor pulley on the Putnam - It'll certainly help keep the operator cool :~)

I also see what looks like a horizontal mill in the back corner, in the close up shot of the Monarch.

I like the creative use of the compressor pulley on the Putnam - It'll certainly help keep the operator cool :~)

I also see what looks like a horizontal mill in the back corner, in the close up shot of the Monarch.
Yes you are correct there is a van Norman #12 ,a brown and sharp mill also a shaper built by stonebridge machine company in Worcester Mass.any input on rest of these would be greatly appreciated.am also interested in anyone who may have interest in any of machines
25407abdedf69266efa17b641f60a8c4.jpg
21c8a60aeb8a36c8bee6d7eda300f90b.jpg
6d222f98d416594ed85f1cf2f9e509bb.jpg

With the weight of the subjects, value and interests usually have a lot to do with location. I'd be interested in the surface grinder but it appears you're in about 33 hours round trip, by plane, for me and I doubt I can check the surface grinder on the flight home. ;)

If you have not got the hint yet, you need to tell us where you are. I'd be interested in the shaper, but only if you are somewhere between California and Utah:D. And what is the loading situation? Forklift on site? Forklift available down the street? Or forklift available from rental yard that is 4 hours away? How about access to the building? Pavement/cement to door? Hard pack gravel to door? Some gravel that gets soft and squishy when wet to door? 5 acres of muddy field to get to door?

A buyer should not have to ask so many questions, if you want to sell lay out all the info.

Interesting lathes, but a bit too far for me. They are not "valuable" in that you'll make a bunch of money selling them, but they have value IMO. They'll all be projects for the interested parties, but deserve to stay out of the scrap heap and can still be useful tools in the right hands.

With the Putnam, I recall reading something about a "frog-foot" design being an early style?

On the Monarch, does anyone know the purpose of the small vertical lever between the QC gearbox and the lead screw? Curious if it has anything to do with a design mystery on my Whitcomb Blaisdell lathe. More pictures would help.

Now I see where you mentioned that name before, sorry, I was just looking at the pic. So what is the model#? Should be listed on it somewhere D3, D4, D5, D6 or D7? Still need more details, let me know.
I apologize for late response,had the flu for a few days.i have not found a model number on it yet but am going back to where it is at this evening and will look for any other markings on it.as for the loading of it,I have 30 more days to clean building out.if I sell any of the machines within that time there is no problem at all loading them.i have forklift there and floor is all concrete.i plan on unbolting them from floor and using 50 ton hyd Jack's lift and set on dollies designed to move heavy machines and pull each of them out and load on trailer..but even if after the 30 days they will be at my shop where loading them will not be a problem.

Back