What's new
What's new

Porter Cable Rapid Production Lathe Circa 1915 Acquired.

JOHNADAMSCANADA

Plastic
About a year ago I acquired a 1915ish Porter Cable Rapid Production Lathe. I will post pictures as soon as I can get a few shots of it. It is missing a compound slide attachment and I was wondering has anyone either found a similar lathe, has parts or knows how to fabricate one for? A manual would be a Godsend as I cannot figure out how to dissemble parts of it to clean. I think I am going to leave the original patina on it and only clean the ways, gibs and have the guys at work make a few replacement bearings/bushing etc. Any help is appreciated.

Porter-Cable Production Lathes shows details on the unit.

It weights quite literally a ton in two pieces and I would have to move it again!

There are some other older threads on this forum about Lipe Lathes including some in Canada that were the successors to Porter Cable here is one of them .
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...ry/w-c-lipe-army-lathe-240749/?highlight=Lipe
You can use the forum search engine and search for Lipe or Porter Cable at the top of the main page to find them .
There haven’t been any updates on them for a while but you could try clicking on their name at the top of their post and send a private message or email to the owners and see if you get a reply .
Even if they haven’t been around for a while they may still be set up to get a notification by email that there is a message for them.
They may be able to add something

Also I noticed this page about Lipe history when I was looking for something else just the other day that I had not seen before.
C. E. Lipe Machine Shop | Revolvy
Regards,
Jim

Back