What's new
What's new

Power Hacksaw Pics, factory or home made, lets see them!

spitfire_er

Aluminum
I'de like to see what people have for these old machines. I've always been interested in them and recently bought one, then quickly upgraded to a bigger one.

First was a Jefferson model 601. Very small machine and weighted maybe 50lbs without the motor.
IMG_20160104_221319000.jpgIMG_20160104_221256438.jpg
IMG_20160104_221241669.jpg

Then about a month ago, I went to an estate sale and found one. It was a Keller 3B I believe and sat in a basement shop under the stairs for many years. Ended up making $5 after selling my Jefferson. This is a much larger machine and I would guess around 200lbs. It also has the relief mechanism, which the Jefferson lacks.

IMG_20160202_125032106.jpg

Those are mine, what do you guys have? I like seeing home made ones too!

Here are some pictures of my 20" Peerless, cutting some bronze bar stock. It has a 3 speed gearbox and a rather complicated downfeed mechanism. The blade tensioner and the vise spindle mount are home made as these were missing when I got the machine.

Jos

Attachments

• DSCN0705.jpg
    DSCN0705.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,596
  • DSCN0718.jpg
    DSCN0718.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 2,200
A large and heavy Maquoketa Saw More metal cutting machine, built in Clinton Iowa. Originally manufactured by Rasmussen Machine of Racine Wisconsin. Have not worked on trying to make it run.
Maquoketa sawmore.jpgmaquoketa sawmore tag.jpg

Here's my arm saving device that I purchased from a member here. It's a Peerless similar to Jovs'. I don't recommend keeping one on casters but I have to be able to move it around in my garage. It runs well other than the fact that I can't get the auto shutoff to work consistently.

A video here if you're interested: https://youtu.be/QWhE3XGpJ5s I've got a few more uploaded there too.

Residing here are a Marvel #1 Draw Cut saw I got from Joel, but have yet to hook up and run.
DSC02373a.jpg

And a Millers Falls "Star" saw that actually runs.
DSC01949b.jpg

Irby

Also in the "not quite" running state, this Wicksteed, over here I think they were the first to build a saw.......perhaps their patent relates to oil lift, not sure.
RichardWP_20160207_12_58_29_Pro.jpgWP_20160207_12_58_56_Pro.jpg.

My 18" Keller, as acquired from a university student shop scrap pile.KellerFront.jpg
It has since been removed from the casters in favor of a custom pallet that I can move around with the pallet jack.

Posted before but here's my 3500 lb. Peerless HydroCut.

28d53ebb7a10f384b8510684159718f5.jpg
206a4c96b8642ec1d4b39d00bf10b65a.jpg

Heres my little Crafstman, sawing off a piece of durabar.

IMG_5574-small.jpg

Heres the Graham variable speed transmission & coolant system; Pretty silly for such a machine- the transmission was a freebie so why not, but the coolant is handy to keep the saw a lot cleaner. I bought some saw fluid which works pretty well & makes the saw blade last a lot longer.

IMG_5356-small.jpg

Here are some pictures of my 20" Peerless, cutting some bronze bar stock. It has a 3 speed gearbox and a rather complicated downfeed mechanism. The blade tensioner and the vise spindle mount are home made as these were missing when I got the machine.

Jos

That's actually a Peerless 9"x9" Mechanical Cut saw with three speed gear box. Depending on the year built, Catalog may say 10"x10" Mechanical cut. We had the exact same one in my younger years dad picked up for trade in labor for installing a new Peerless hacksaw for a man in Utah. Ours did not have the three speed gear box and it had been busted up and re-welded back together. Man that was a mean cutting machine!

Gotta say I like my Jet 2000, mounted it on a metal pallet to make it easy to tuck under a shelf. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4zwQ0_7gJw

At the RR museum in Willimantic ( Connecticut Eastern Railroad Museum ) we have a small Keller like the original poster that gets more use than the Johnson bandsaw we have. Not sure of the model number but IIRC it uses 10" blades. We also have a Marvel 2 sitting on the side that we haven't powered up yet.

Great little machines,
Rich C.

This is the saw we use everyday. Has auto feed, clamp and cut. Just load bar, set length and ingage. When the sled hits the final stop the saw stops.

Athack

Racine All.jpgRacine.jpg

Here are a couple of RACINE hacksaws that I one day I planed to make a good one out of. I think they were used to cut up rail road tracks .

If anyone knows anything about them I'd love to know. Neal

Posted before but here's my 3500 lb. Peerless HydroCut.

28d53ebb7a10f384b8510684159718f5.jpg
206a4c96b8642ec1d4b39d00bf10b65a.jpg

Wow, that's a lot of machine for a cut like that...
Like lathes from the 40's that were 6,000 lbs and 13" swing...
(And, could take a real cut!)

**Edit:
Wait, is that a dish detergent top on an oil bottle? How glorious of an addition is that?
I will now save every bottle top like that!

Back