What's new
What's new

Power hacksaw rebuild question

Z Guy

Plastic
Picked up an power hacksaw.
Runs, but needs some tinkering. If all goes well I will tear it down and do a complete rebuild/restore at some point.

My current question is, there is what appears to be “slop” in the pivot point and pin that attaches to the bow. I am not sure how “snuggley” this fit should be. Should it have a bronze bearing insert? Should it have some clearance since its reciprocating device? It is clearly worn some. Can make a new pivot pin or such. Looking for some guidance from the power hacksaw crowd. Thank you kindly.A3EB702F-BF3C-475C-967A-EDA272DD3D62.jpg

I don't own a power hacksaw, but like most older machines, it appears the cast iron was machined to size with no need for a bushing if maintenance was decent. And apparently they were right considering the age of the machine. that being said we routinely do this type of repair on machines for local industrial companies. the sleeve material depends on what type of lubrication it will be receiving during use. A good bronze will serve well with little lube, while a hardened steel sleeve will last longer and render the pin to be the wear item rather than the bore, but will require a bit more lube to prevent galling or seizing if the steels are at all close in type and hardness. since it is yours, make it the way you like best, and make it easy to lubricate for a good long life fix. Happy machining!

Back