Powerturn lathe, 1968 Lodge & shipley - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talked to the folks at Monarch yesterday (they support L&S too) they say such a manual never existed for the Powerturn, just the parts manual and operators manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the page from the operators manual that details adjusting the spindle bearings and clutch and brake..

powerturn-instruction.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks,
    Glad that's included in the manual, I had forgotten. About 3 and 15 years ago after bringing lathes home I read the manuals front to back and have now forgotten much of it.. Time to read it all again instead of just skimming for info on the particular task at hand.

I was trying to illustrate that the operators manual does not cover all the little details that a shop or repair manual might, if such a manual did exist. (I chose a bad example) Apparently such manual does not and likely never existed.

This weekend I'll have more time to get into the quick change gearbox and asses the damage.

Grigg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Removed the entire quick change gear box after removing some knobs/levers to remove the front cover casting then 4 bolts inside, 4 under, and loosen set screws on square clutch rod and slide it a foot or so out the right end of the lathe. The whole box is heavy, first wedged some blocks under it so it wouldn't just fall off then was able to slide it left, tip it out, and set it on the floor. Two people would have been better.

img_3210.jpg

You can see by the space in the gear stack that the shaft is bent, they should be clamped tight with the bearing retaining nut.
    With a straight edge on the bare shaft it has about 1/32" hump/bend in this location.

img_3223.jpg

The bearing bore near the bent end has wallowed out some, and cracked in the margin between nearest other bore. The crack probably isn't an issue.
    The bore is several thousandths oversize at best, tapered about 0.013" and about 0.006" out of round. If bored just enough to clean up and correct location a new cup shaped bushing could be easily made to fit and replace the original. (Bushing adapts small bearing to large hole, and allows room when removed to wiggle out the shaft complete with gears.)
    I can figure out how to bore the hole, but finding the correct location, setting up to that and checking it still has me thinking.. there are 3 shafts with meshing gears, so location of the one worn hole to the existing two is important. Might be able to measure this relationship on opposite end and duplicate. Possibly look up info on the gears and find pitch diameters to work out the shaft relationships as a double check?
    I can probably only setup to one end with machines available, otherwise a good method with enough spindle or machine travel is to sweep bores both ends of the gearbox and adjust square to that then through worn bore locate from the good one, back out and bore the worn one..
    There is no remaining undamaged portion of this bore to use for location.
    Any other ideas?

img_3225.jpg

Largest quick change gear (opposite end of shaft) partly sheared a 3/16" key at some point.
    Back in 1971 this gearbox got a new tumbler gear and cast iron carrier among other related parts. I'm now guessing that either the lathe was crashed or something jammed in the gears causing the damage requiring those new parts and partly shearing this key. At same time the severe torque caused the driven gears at opposite end of that shaft to spread bending the shaft? The bent shaft wasn't noticed or addressed then (assuming all this stuff broke at same time), if they had noticed and looked into the now bent shaft they probably would have replaced the key.
    In any case it's kind of a mess to fix now.

img_3226.jpg

These two gears aren't very good. The smaller has 6 bad/ugly teeth, and the larger gear 12 ugly teeth.
    To do it right they should both be replaced (and the shaft). I'm afraid the gears will be seriously expensive, I haven't asked yet.

img_3227.jpg

5. Likes Panza liked this post
    Country
    NORWAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could just make some new gears out of 4140PH. I've done that for my pacemaker and it works nicely.
    Thank you for posting the pictures and progress. Nice machine !

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The shaft at 1" diameter and just less than 12" long had more than 0.050" runout spun between centers. I was able to get it bent back to maximum 0.0015" runout, mostly 0.0010" or better. Unsure if this is OK, should I think of a way to do better, have someone who knows better improve on it, or should I make a new shaft? A replacement shaft from Monarch Lathes (L&S) would run $1100 and change.

Bending shaft in vice, shown at maximum squeeze then it relaxed back to pretty near straight.
    img_e3252.jpg

img_e3253.jpg

The gears might be something I can buy and adapt, they're around about $750 each otherwise, one in stock at Monarch and the other would be made to order in a few weeks.

The larger gear with dog clutch on one face has a bronze bushing in it, but has remnants of a keyway in the gear bore, a clue that it started as an off the shelf gear?

The smaller gear might could be made from a standard gear and a spacer, only a portion of the teeth are in mesh.

I'll get gear measurements and look into those ideas soon.

Any other ideas, or just buy the parts...?

Already purchased new bearings for those that may have been overloaded by the interfering gear teeth.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Grigg View Post
    I was able to get it bent back to maximum 0.0015" runout, mostly 0.0010" or better. Unsure if this is OK ...
    One anda half thou runout will give you about seven tenths variation in backlash as the gear rotates.

You oughta be fine

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would suggest you explore what is available from Boston Gear or Martin Sprocket .
    Power Transmission, Material Handling & Hand Tool Manufacturer
    Depending on how you value your time and if you have suitable equipment available you might find something that with a little work you could adapt to your to meet your needs for considerably less money and not have to resort to buying cutters of custom made gears.
    If you post some dimensions of the gears you need maybe some one will have a suitable new old stock or good used gear available too.
    Regards,
    Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscf1062.jpg   dscf1061.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the suggestions.

The gears are 10 diametral pitch 20° pressure angle.
    16 teeth and 32 teeth. Non hardened.

img_3255.jpg

The 32 tooth gear is overall 1.357" thick with a hub diameter of 2.083"
    This can be made from a Martin Gear part number TS1032 with plenty of extra material to machine and match the original gear. Browning and Boston don't list a 32 tooth 10DP gear. (had a Martin gear picked out on ebay but seller said it wasn't actually available)

The 16 tooth gear is more difficult to find with enough material on it to duplicate the original.
    Overall length is 2.280"
    Hub diameter 1.438"
    Bore 1" with 3/16" keyway
    Boston, Martin, and Browning offer 16 tooth 20°PA 10DP gears as part numbers YF16, TS1016, and YSS1016 respectively.
    They're all 1.875" long with hub diameter 1.312". They list maximum bore as 3/4".
    My gear is longer by about 0.4" and 1/8" larger hub diameter. Assume I bore an available new gear to fit the 1" shaft and make a spacer to get correct length. Problem might be strength of the gear between corner of keyway and root of tooth, not much material left with that 1" bore (see picture). The full diameter portion of original gear with incomplete teeth and even the reduced diameter hub have plenty of meat outside the keyway, perhaps providing strength to overcome the weak spot at keyway and tooth portion of the gear.

img_3257.jpg

What I'd like to start with, if not the perfect gear, is a "stem pinion" with correct teeth, there would be plenty of length and diameter to find the original gear inside. So far I haven't found a 10DP stem pinion with 16 teeth.

Anyone have feedback on having gears made to order from Boston or anyone else?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was someone who posted on this forum a while ago that made gears for some other members that could perhaps make the pinion for you .
    I think his name was Mike but I can’t remember his forum name .
    He was from one of the states on the west coast of the U.S.A.
    I haven’t noticed him posting recently so I don’t know if he is still doing that or not.
    Maybe someone else will know .

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That would be Finegrain, unfortunately he posted a while back that he had sold his horizontal mill and is no longer making gears. Selling off my involute gear cutter collection

13. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

robinr,
    Yes Finegrain wat the one I was thinking of
    Thanks for posting.
    Regards,
    Jim

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    There was someone who posted on this forum a while ago that made gears for some other members ...
    Use Dan from Oakland. He knows his stuff. Zahnrad would be okay too but every time he posts, it's about "too busy ! too busy !" so I dunno

10 DP 20 is simple. But on the 16T maybe check to see it's not long addendum. O.D. should be 1.8", if it's bigger than that could be a drop-tooth gear. No biggy but just be aware ...

Hint : if you make the blanks and the gear shop only has to cut teeth, it goes way faster. Just make sure that the side it will fixture from is square to the bore and he bore is concentric with the o.d.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Moderow
    Good gears start with good blanks

16. Likes Grigg liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have the Model X L&S, it's rated size is 14" yet I have a 16" chuck on it! I checked and have an 18" chuck that will also fit but can't open-up the jaws much more than the Diameter of the chuck.(was checking because I wanted the hole size in the center of the 18" chuck)did the job on my 24" (26" actual) Hendey So your lathe is a rated 13" but as most great USA made lathes the rated size is much smaller than the actual swing. Not like the newer lathes that a piece of paper will not fit past the listed size! If you need a transformer check out HGR in Ohio. If you keep watching they lower prices as time goes by. I picked-up quite a few transformers very cheap from them. They will ship however they usually know next to nothing about what they are selling, will refund money if the item is bad but shipping is not so anything heavy should be looked at before shipping!