What's new
What's new

Pratt and Whitney 2A VS Moore #2

Is this a jig bore?

I'm betting the Moore will be smaller. My Moore #3 is nowhere near the size of a P&W 3B, 4100lbs vs 14,000s or so.

Thanks John

One of our locations has the Pratt and Whitney now and I have located the Moore at dealer up north. What I am hoping to do is determine if the Moore would have the same work envelop and accept the same size of tools. I know the tool holders are different. For example if I can run a large drill in the Pratt can I run the same diameter drill on the Moore.

We would not be using this as the precision machine it was made to be but rather as a really good drill press with an XY component

Hope this makes sense,

If the Moore is not equivalent for that purpose, any recommendations? Shopping for used machine here....

Last edited:
Just as a guess and reading Matt's post #2 above on his #3 Moore, I'd say the #2 Moore is less than half the size of the 2A and uses much smaller tooling. Fairly sure the 2A collets take up to 1 1/4 shanks and MT4

Thanks John

One of our locations has the Pratt and Whitney now and I have located the Moore at dealer up north. What I am hoping to do is determine if the Moore would have the same work envelop and accept the same size of tools. I know the tool holders are different. For example if I can run a large drill in the Pratt can I run the same diameter drill on the Moore.

We would not be using this as the precision machine it was made to be but rather as a really good drill press with an XY component

Hope this makes sense,

If the Moore is not equivalent for that purpose, any recommendations? Shopping for used machine here....

Moore tooling uses a modified 30taper with no drive lugs. It uses a male square thread to thread into the spindle, no drawbar. It's kinda rare to find, but eBay has some. Also Moore collets don't seem to be a thing, if they were they are rare as hens teeth. You can find endmill holders, boring heads, and drills chucks. All Moore machines take the same taper, but its TOTALLY diffrent from what P&W uses.

My #3 has a 1hp motor or less, so it dosent move a lot of metal very fast

And there is also the issue that the leadscdrews are all .100 per turn, so your not moving that table very fast. Also the quill is geared way down and you dont have a lever handle so you probably won't be able to feed a drill of any size correctly.

And forget about quill power feed, my #3 has .00075, .0015 and .003 per turn for the quill feed rates. Great for fine finishes with the boring head, not so great for big drills.

My Moore was the most difficult machine I've ever moved. Very very top heavy, super small base and just an all round PITA to move. Bport type mills are much easier to move.

Ive spent a little time on Johns 3B P&W, there is no comparison between the two machines in terms of size and capacity.

For plain old hole drilling, id look for a Bridgeport with a DRO. Cheap tooling, and the machine Gods won't turn in their grave when you have to put a cheater on the quill handle to make a 1" countersink cut in SS....

You probably can't tell much about size in this picture, but a Moore jig bore is not a large machine.
edaf6c05ac78b7f86b70f8801dfffd41.jpg

Back