What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney 8" lathe (was Warner & Swasey old 8" purchase)

CloseENuff

Plastic
I have an opportunity to purchase an old Warner & Swasey 8" the working length was described as 30" but the overall length appears to be 7 feet. I will be looking for positive identification and a manual.
I've done a lot of manual machining in my background making parts for WWII aircraft restoration but also did some Hoss cnc mill, programming and editing on the machine itself, and a very large single spindle hydrotell mill, over 20 ft long. I appreciate any advice and guidance to find tooling. I have access to a very nice mill and I'm going to place the lathe there. The machinist who is currently storing the lathe described the spindle bearings as near silent so I'm hoping a pull bar and dial indicator test will prove it true.
Cheers
Charles

I seen an almost engine lathe by W&S, was a typical ram type turret lathe but did have lead screw and quick change thread gear box. Plus a taper attachment. Owner wanted more than I was willing to spend.

MY BAD!!!
PRATT & WHITNEY but I guess Pratt is still a good one.

So back to the same questions for ID and operation manual.
I'll try to get a pic I can post. My current cell phone not up to it.

I spent most of my lathe time on a Monarch I think had a 10 or 12" swing and long bed. Chucks were a real back load to change. Finally started chucking a bar through them so I could two arm curl to move them, with a plywood guard on the bed, of course;)

I apologize for the miss ID it was in a text but I finally looked at pic.
Charles

MY BAD!!!
PRATT & WHITNEY but I guess Pratt is still a good one.

So back to the same questions for ID and operation manual.
I'll try to get a pic I can post. My current cell phone not up to it.

I spent most of my lathe time on a Monarch I think had a 10 or 12" swing and long bed. Chucks were a real back load to change. Finally started chucking a bar through them so I could two arm curl to move them, with a plywood guard on the bed, of course;)

I apologize for the miss ID it was in a text but I finally looked at pic.
Charles

Wow !

Need some glasses, and the peanut gallery needs to sit on their keyboards for a wee bit longer eh ?

JOHNODER, thank you very much for anticipating difficulty in posting pic.

It's definitely an engine lathe. But the discussion caused me to remember a friend in the same area who is crowded with machining centers and might "loan" his turret lathe to me so may have two machines on trailer. Possible benefit to me from comments.

And with getting photos instead of pdf copy I can now see what I am convinced is a taper attachment on the back.

So her goes upload pics.

Thanks for looking
IS there any way to change title so this could go on but corrected to PRATT??
Cheers
Charles 20210721_PRATT front.jpg20210721_PRATT front.jpg20210721_pratt SN.jpg20210721_pratt SN.jpg

Its all on that tag - 13" Model B - meaning the one that first came out in the early twenties and was upgraded to the 12 for the war effort

This has plain spindle bearings and a threaded spindle nose and will be a sweetie pie if you don't pretend it is modern and can go fast as the dickens

Nice pub of mine for your enjoyment / education

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com...ttwhitney-circular402-model-b-lathes-1936.pdf

have fun

Here is the early version dated 1922

Early 13 Model B.jpg

Vintage Machinery has the very much later (1945) 12" manual

Back