What's new
What's new

Pratt & Whitney Lathe, what do I have here?

tbone352

Plastic
This lathe was given to me. Owner passed away.
I want to learn all I can about it and hopefully get it operational.
Any information would be appreciated. If there are websites with information, links would be appreciated. Thanks
DSCN2668.JPG
DSCN2669.JPG
DSCN2672.JPG
DSCN2670.JPG
DSCN2671.JPG

Can you post some pics of the entire lathe? It looks interesting but kind of hard to understand how it is driven or grabs material without better pics.

I will take more pictures tomorrow. Cross slide is not on it. It was taken apart for some reason. There were 3 other lathes taken apart as well.

I'm not sure. I have buckets and boxes of stuff to look through. I know very little about metal lathes so I'm not sure what parts are missing. I would like to find an exploded view picture(s) of the lathe to see what is supposed to be there.

That lathe takes 5PN collets. There are several on ebay.

You should take pictures of all the stuff that came with it so that we can tell you what you have and what you need.

Steve

1.jpg
I am trying to put the lathe together. This is such a newbie question I am embarrassed to ask. What is this thing on the right called and how do I put a 3 jaw chuck(threaded) on the lathe?

you don't use a threaded chuck, you have a D1-2 spindle....tough one to find any fittings for, likely have to make or have a couple backplates made.

you don't use a threaded chuck, you have a D1-2 spindle....tough one to find any fittings for, likely have to make or have a couple backplates made.

All drawings and info on it will be found in ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses

In my over fifty years around lathes, I have seen exactly one piece of of spindle tooling that was D1-2":D

View attachment 251433
I am trying to put the lathe together. This is such a newbie question I am embarrassed to ask. What is this thing on the right called and how do I put a 3 jaw chuck(threaded) on the lathe?

That's a Camlock spindle nose. They aren't proprietary, used on zillions of lathes, and for my money the best all-round chuck mount. The chucks back will have a corresponding number of chord notched male pins. Look down the holes, a cutaway section is evident in the lock. Rotating that lock after male pin enters, presents un-notched section of lock and intercepts the male pin. Male pin screws into chuck back, restrained from turning in or out by a scallop in the male pin.

If one pictures worth ten thousand words......d1-6 camlock - Google Search

BTW, as mentioned yours isn't D1-6 but D1-6 is very common, and this page had instant returns on the pins as well. They [missing, worn, stuck parts] can be duplicated easily. Chucks are plentiful.

I found a pdf of ASA/ASME B5.9 Spindle Noses.
I cannot find anything D1-2.
So should I use this thing for a boat anchor, scrap it or what?

It might take some looking to find a chuck that will fit, or a little work to adapt a different chuck to it. Maybe even the one you have could be adapted. Think a thick steel plate with a tapered hole in the center with a few threaded holes for the pins to screw in. 3 holes to bolt on your existing chuck and your in the money.:cheers:
You could put a wanted post up to see if anyone has anything D1-2 on a shelf somewhere.

Back