What's new
What's new

Praying that John Oder is high and dry!

Same here,

I do not pray, But all of you in south Texas, stay dry stay safe, and on high ground. Tragic situation for many, but we are all in it together, you would help us out if we had a flood like that, that is what Americans do, when the feces hit the oscillating blades, we stand united.

dee
;-D

Has anyone tried to get hold of him? Anyone got his phone number? Are there any phones working in the flood area?

I've been having phone issues of late, think the stupid thing is working now though. I'll be trying to get a hold of him in the morning. Unless someone else gets ahold of him before I do.

Rain looks like it's stopped for the most part, but the city is having to open levees. Was just sent a picture of the beltway 8 and I10 interchange flooded up to the overpass. Probably a mile or two of atleast 20' deep water.

Last edited:
I've been having phone issues of late, think the stupid thing is working now though. I'll be trying to get a hold of him in the morning.

Rain looks like it's stopped for the most part, but the city is having to open levees. Was just sent a picture of the beltway 8 and I10 interchange flooded up to the overpass. Probably a mile or two of atleast 20' deep water.

How is your OWN situation, meanwhile?

How is your OWN situation, meanwhile?

So far so good.

Worst thing has been that I get about 10 minutes of internet and then it dies.

Might try to get down to the farm tomorrow and see how big a mess I'm dealing with down there. The river flooding started today and they are expecting the river to crest at a record height around 60'.

I'm afraid were not totally out of the woods yet with the levee over-toppings and failures.

I've already had school cancelled until Tuesday next week and would not be surprised if that gets extended.

Does anyone know if John's home or shop is in the flood area?

I don't think it's in the worst area in Houston, but it's in a notorious wet area. If the phone doesn't work, I'll just see how far I can get in his direction.

Pretty sure I can make it to the farm, not as confident about John's place.

The river flooding started today and they are expecting the river to crest at a record height around 60'.

What is "normal" and "flood"? I know these are relative numbers. One place upriver here in 2008 ( Cedar Rapids Iowa, I am on The Iowa, which the cedar joins about 15 miles upstream, and about 15 miles from the Mississippi) had a "normal stage around 8', a flood stage about 12 feet and IIRC crested about 30 feet. Here in my town normal is 8-10, flood is 20, and the record ( not sure how they measured it as it took out the original measusring station) is 33.5 feet, or about 5 feet of water over the major us highway at the low spot.

Hard to believe all that much water exists in the world until you see it.

I have John's number, but only get a busy-signal when calling. I spoke with him briefly a couple months back, so I know I have the right phone#. Hoping for the best for John and everyone else in the affected areas.

What is "normal" and "flood"? I know these are relative numbers. One place upriver here in 2008 ( Cedar Rapids Iowa, I am on The Iowa, which the cedar joins about 15 miles upstream, and about 15 miles from the Mississippi) had a "normal stage around 8', a flood stage about 12 feet and IIRC crested about 30 feet. Here in my town normal is 8-10, flood is 20, and the record ( not sure how they measured it as it took out the original measusring station) is 33.5 feet, or about 5 feet of water over the major us highway at the low spot.

Hard to believe all that much water exists in the world until you see it.

They say the river is "bank full" at 20' with a historic low of 11'.

National Weather Service Advanced Hydrologic Prediction Service

Ok. Great News! Just tried John's number again and got him. He says his daughter keeps checking on them and is keeping the phone busy. He is high and dry, but without electricity, so no computer internet and he says at his age, he does not really do well with internet on his phone. Give him a 100+ year old machine and now he can get something done. He asked that I pass along the thanks for well wishes and he hopes to be back just as soon as his electricity comes back.

Ok. Great News! Just tried John's number again and got him. He says his daughter keeps checking on them and is keeping the phone busy. He is high and dry, but without electricity, so no computer internet and he says at his age, he does not really do well with internet on his phone. Give him a 100+ year old machine and now he can get something done. He asked that I pass along the thanks for well wishes and he hopes to be back just as soon as his electricity comes back.

Good to hear.

the record ( not sure how they measured it as it took out the original measusring station)

One takes a transit, level, or theodolite shot off the dirty water mark on the wall of a handy building, compares that to a known Bench Mark. Any building or wall will do, so long as it weren't MOVED by the water. Water sort of "self levels", y'see.

Elevation Bench Marks are unremarked, but all over the place, and registered where surveyors know to find the records - or just eyeball 'em. Bronze disk pinned in a corner of the stoop of a bank, church, courthouse, or such. We've all seen 'em. Now you know what they are for.

That's great news! Maybe it is strange to worry about someone you have never met but it seems like I know John through his posts.

JO had posted this in the Cleveland planer thread...

I should know by the end of the coming week whether I still have a place to live. My place is in one of North West Houston's notorious low spots, and we have been flooded innumerable times in the past 43 years - at least out side of house. This time may be entirely different.

If there are extended periods of non posting from here, you will know why

May have a definite impact of whether I can go forward on G. A. Gray acquisition

Been checking his login last couple days, no login, and based on news and what he posted above, figured he was under water. So good news to hear that he is not. But there are others on here who are not so lucky I am certain. :bawling:

My cousin who lived in Houston until a few months ago, until they moved to Austin, told me the house they were in, now has water nearly to the top of the front door. :eek:

Back