Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks. It seems mine is stuck between the handle and the clutch, and I wanted to make sure it was the same left hand thread for engagement as the other one. I've got to get that freed, and one gear is still stuck on a shaft in the gearbox. Other than that it's cleaning up very nicely.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Riant View Post
    Same as the long feed , clockwise to engage. Mine were stuck , I was able to spray the clutches from the back of the apron and free them. Still mine engage easy , release hard. -dave-
    If you ever need any pictures, or if you want to see something specific before it goes back together.... It's almost completely disassembled right now, and I've been taking a lot of pictures.

Last disassembly question, I hope. Ever had the spindle apart? This collar right above the gear is giving me grief.

Post Thanks / Like

Gear pair is attached to cone - which drives them. It would be normal for cone and gear pair to come off the spindle as a unit - its normally free to rotate on spinidle. Maybe the collar is threaded on spindle? Unlikely if there is no way to lock it, like a set screw in from the side

You may know there is a locking device between cone and bull gear (other end of cone) that you have to release before cone and its gear pair are free to rotate on spindle

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah, the gear pair and come are together and they do spin on the shaft, but there's something in the locking pin that isn't fully disengaging. the collar doesn't have any set screws, and theres no visible threads or key way. The diameter of the spindle at the large bearing is larger than the diameter of this collar, so I'm sure it comes off somehow, unless I'm really missing something.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like some trouble, but if the locking device is known to be released (cone spins) you could upright the whole assy and drop it on a wood block to see if the cone and its gears do some collar moving (just a big impact hammer)

6. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, turns out I don't have the stones to perform the procedure you suggested. Puller wouldn't pop it after I made longer arms. Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnell View Post
    Well, turns out I don't have the stones to perform the procedure you suggested. Puller wouldn't pop it after I made longer arms. Any other ideas?

Maybe borrow, buy or make such as block and tackle to help you lift it and let it down quickly enough to bump it hard?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, I had a lot of pressure on it and it wasn't moving. More pressure doesn't seem like the answer. I'm thinking either I'm missing something, or that collar is a heated fit and ill have to heat it to get it off. Tomorrow afternoon I'll get a complete set of pictures on here, see if anyone sees something I missed.

Post Thanks / Like

Competitor Boye & Emmes just has a pair of thrust washers there - hopefully some heat will loosen them up

bewashers.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's almost exactly how this one is set up. Makes me a little more comfortable about trying a real gentle heat on it. Thanks, John.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnell View Post
    That's almost exactly how this one is set up. Makes me a little more comfortable about trying a real gentle heat on it. Thanks, John.

Here is that whole page - another heavy duty double back gear lathe

parts_15.jpg