What's new
What's new

Precise Super 65 spindle disassembly

leeko

Stainless
Hi all

I posted this over in the general section as part of a related thread, but didn't get any responses so hopefully there's someone over here who knows about these old spindles...

I have a precise super 65 grinding / high speed milling spindle which I'd like to take apart. It has a long, extended nose on it, and I'm trying to see if it can be removed to give a shorter nose.

There are two spanner nuts at either end of the long nose piece. I was able to remove the bigger one, and underneath it almost looks like the nose piece inserts into the main housing via a Jacobs taper or similar - would that make sense? The long nosepiece doesn't rotate - only the 1/4" inner shaft.

I haven't yet been able to break the smaller spanner nut free to see what comes loose under there.

Also, it looks like there's a split shell surrounding the main body housing. I thought maybe I could use a screwdriver in the slot to open it up and slide it off, but the slot is way too narrow for that. Any thoughts on whether that should come off?

Thanks for any advice offered,

Lee
3af9298ba9de9919cb25efc93d2348d9.jpg
35a1cdc404cd37e21ba01c2460f98967.jpg
f72e2ce011d9880c43c958fa290725d5.jpg
d1c4ca24e24a8928eb6821f3e77c42d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Hi all

I posted this over in the general section as part of a related thread, but didn't get any responses so hopefully there's someone over here who knows about these old spindles...

I have a precise super 65 grinding / high speed milling spindle which I'd like to take apart. It has a long, extended nose on it, and I'm trying to see if it can be removed to give a shorter nose.

There are two spanner nuts at either end of the long nose piece. I was able to remove the bigger one, and underneath it almost looks like the nose piece inserts into the main housing via a Jacobs taper or similar - would that make sense? The long nosepiece doesn't rotate - only the 1/4" inner shaft.

I haven't yet been able to break the smaller spanner nut free to see what comes loose under there.

Also, it looks like there's a split shell surrounding the main body housing. I thought maybe I could use a screwdriver in the slot to open it up and slide it off, but the slot is way too narrow for that. Any thoughts on whether that should come off?

Thanks for any advice offered,

Lee
3af9298ba9de9919cb25efc93d2348d9.jpg
35a1cdc404cd37e21ba01c2460f98967.jpg
f72e2ce011d9880c43c958fa290725d5.jpg
d1c4ca24e24a8928eb6821f3e77c42d5.jpg

I have two Precise units. One intended for jig grinder duty on the spindle of a mill. The other is a "block" mount, meant as a component to be designed-into / onto a machine-tool.

AFAIK, Fischer Spindle, the current owner, gets somewhere North of $1,500 to refurbish and balance those uber-fussy spindles & their bearings, "clean room" almost certainly involved.

It is a "non-trivial exercise" even for the experienced who have the data, tools, fixtures, bearings, lubes, balancing and testing resources.

Shorter response?

Yer playin' wit yerself!

Ok, fair enough.

So, a follow on question: any idea what the little spigot on the side is for? It's hollow and screws into the side of the casting. Oil?

Ok, fair enough.

So, a follow on question: any idea what the little spigot on the side is for? It's hollow and screws into the side of the casting. Oil?

Dry-pumped Nitrogen purge - off cylinders, regulated - is about as likely.

:)

The bearings get just enough, and not a milligram more - of Kluber's best grease-fu.

Check the RPM. Electrically driven. Direct drive.

That's gas, air, liquid - one "fluid" or another - turbine driven turf, ordinarily.

Even "mostly", if you check what is "out there" in general competing in the market, machine-tools, die-grinders, jig-grinders, to common dental drills.

Back