What's new
What's new

Prentice bros. Co. High speed lathe

Sachmanram

Stainless
Hello all,

I saw that this lathe was for sale only a couple of miles from me. With just the one pic from the ad, I had no idea just what it was. I saw right away that it was a Prentice Bros. Co. lathe, but still didn't know what I was looking at. When I opened the hinged head stock cover, inwardly I thought.... "Is this ever a unique head stock design... !! "

IMG_1433 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1434 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1436 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1437 (1280x960).jpg

More pics to come....

Brian

I am nearly finished with my 16" South Bend lathe refurb, so I have been thinking about a new project for the winter, when things are a little slower. Yes, I bought it.... it has no motor, but all of the gears look to be in real good shape and everything seems to function as it should. I paid $400.00 CAD and he will deliver it to my door on Thursday.

Here are a few more pics...

IMG_1434 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1439 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1441 (1280x960).jpg

IMG_1442 (960x1280).jpg

IMG_1443 (1280x960).jpg

I am looking forward to getting the lathe into the shop and learning more about this rather unique lathe... :)

Brian

I forgot to include a pic of this brass tag on the lathe bed ...

IMG_1435 (1280x960).jpg

The Department of Munitions and Supply was the Canadian Government ministry responsible for coordinating domestic industry during WW2.

Brian :)

I have to ask, what is the "high speed" of the spindle? Maybe you have to know the OEM motor RPM to figure it out, or maybe there is a speed chart for the gear lever settings that was not in the pictures or is lost.

Larry

I have to ask, what is the "high speed" of the spindle? Maybe you have to know the OEM motor RPM to figure it out, or maybe there is a speed chart for the gear lever settings that was not in the pictures or is lost.

Larry

Exactly, Larry..... I have no idea whatsoever. But it is the lack of details that make this such an interesting project. It will take a fair bit of "sleuthing" to figure it all out, and maybe some guess work. I am certain that it has either bronze or cast iron bearings, so this narrows down the RPM's that it would have been capable of, for a lathe of that period. So far, I haven't seen a speed chart.

From the little info on the web that I have seen so far, it looks like this lathe can be not much newer than 1912 ? The complicated head stock seems light years ahead in design, compared to the lathes of that era.

Seems pretty close to what I recall. My 1924 Library of Railway Practice - Machine Shop, shows both very ordinary non QC box cone head RP, but also shows Prentice High Speed Turret Lathe Courtesy of RP - that looks more modern than the cone head.

ON EDIT: Further to the Prentice vintage, in the 1916 Lathe Design Construction and Operation by Perrigo - he refers to the High Speed Prentice as being a recent development, suggesting RP was still pushing P designs sometime after RP acquired P.

From the little info on the web that I have seen so far, it looks like this lathe can be not much newer than 1912 ? The complicated head stock seems light years ahead in design, compared to the lathes of that era.

Seems pretty close to what I recall. My 1924 Library of Railway Practice - Machine Shop, shows both very ordinary non QC box cone head RP, but also shows Prentice High Speed Turret Lathe Courtesy of RP - that looks more modern than the cone head

Hello John :)

Here's another link that I found....

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improv...peration/Chapter-XVIII-High-Speed-Lathes.html

And the second page....

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/Lathe-Operation/High-Speed-Lathes-Part-2.html

It appears that Lodge and Shipley was on the cusp of similar developements

Brian

I don't pretend to know a great deal about the mechanics of the geared head stock of this lathe, but I am awed by the precise boring, gearing, and alignment of all of the components that would have been absolutely necessary for the spindle to run true, with no vibration.

Brian

You have to ignore the first paragraph, just like in my book - appears to be several captions run together into a "paragraph" that should not be there

Nice Find on the lathe Brian,
I see there is some history here on Prentice lathes that may have turned up in your searches as well.
Prentice Bros. - History | VintageMachinery.org
prentice brothers lathe - Google Search

This Reed-Prentice looks much like yours so they must have continued on with that design for some time with Reed Prentice.
1918 Reed-Prentice lathe in action! - YouTube

I was wondering if your lathe might have been used in WW1 production although this says the Deparment of Munitions and Supply was created for WW2
Department of Munitions and Supply - Wikipedia
There are some records available about the munitions supply in WW1 and WW2 here but not viewable on line.
Catalog Record: The history of munitions supply in Canada,... | Hathi Trust Digital Library

https://catalog.hathitrust.org/Record/001314079
I’m wondering if the plaque indicating the contract number indicates the Contract number for the purchase of the lathe from Prentice in WW 1 or the contract for the products it was used on during one of the world wars .
I know that during WW2 the Canadian Government went into various facilities and expropriated or re assigned machinery and people to do war production ,
While it won’t make you lathe run any better maybe if you were interested you may find some one who could connect the contract number with a related location or product.
it may be a long shot but somewhere like the Canadian War Museum or Library and Archives may have something .
http://www.warmuseum.ca/search/?q=War+time+Manufacturing+

http://collectionscanada.gc.ca/lac-...015438.20480.0000&__utmc=128495902&MaxDocs=-1
Regards,
Jim

Hello Jim :)

Thank you for all of the links. I will try to contact the War Museum, to see if they have any archival information on the contract number badge.

I am home from work, due to my back spasms..... and the torrential rains.... but I must get down to the shop and move stuff around to make way for the Prentice lathe, which I expect to be delivered this evening. I'll take more photos of it then and have a better look at it.

Brian

I am back with a little update... :)

Pete, the guy I bought the lathe from who owns and operates a "tilt and tow", brought the lathe over at about 7:00 last night. He had that slid right into my shop in about 30 seconds with smooth grace and skill. The lathe pedestals were already mounted to two thick beams, so I placed three pieces of 1" pipe under it as he lowered it to the floor so that I can easily move it around, until I get the 16" South Bend sold and out the door.

The pedestal under the head stock has taken a beating at some point, with brazed repairs and an additional crack which has been repaired with plates and bolts. I won't find a spare one of those any time soon, so I will see if my buddy can braze it up for me. The door was broken in two and brazed, as well as the face of the quick change gear box has been brazed. I saw all of this when I looked at the lathe initially, but all of the functions seem to work just fine. I am thinking that it was run into by a forklift, as opposed to a face plant, as there is no sign of bent or broken handles at the apron.

I still don't see a speed chart and suspect that it would have been pinned to the head stock cover at some time. There is another member on PM who has a Prentice lathe with the speed chart that I am in contact with.

This lathe would be considered a 14" x 36" model.

I slid the home made chip pan out of the lathe for a few pics. It is well made and would certainly keep the chips from piling up at your feet. There is also a charming home made motor mount... ;)

IMG_1446 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1447 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1448 (1024x768).jpg

IMG_1449 (768x1024).jpg

That's all for now...

Brian

Hey;

Looks pretty familiar, Brian. Always nice to have some more examples show up. I only knew of two previously. Pics on their way!

Hello RedlineMan...

Nice to have you aboard, mate..... :) Your lathe appears to be in way better condition and more complete, which will help me get my lathe running at the right RPMs and might guide me in making parts.

Brian

Back