What's new
What's new

The Putnam is home

Raybmarlow

Cast Iron
I posted on this a while back during the winter, purchased this Putnam lathe with another lathe and a small crowningshield horizontal mill, the Putnam and all are finally home to be cared for, after 35+ years it has seen sunlight again My initial look at lathe was vague, was covered and hard to see, I didn’t expose it as it was literally 20 from road and hidden and didn’t want to expose it for others to find or see before I could get in my possession. In some ways she is better than I figured, other ways not so, but worth fixing and enjoying. Couple of questions tho, of course, where are S/N on these? I’ve looked in all the typical spots. And the compound is different than any I’ve seen, it pivots at font, adjusted from back side ..
it will need some love, small back gear is broke and tailstock needs some attention, have full set of change gears and tools with original tool post..
she is a 16” x 45
bb6630f1340de8b8db5d845d1b4a6713.heic
74f8ea8d62c22b45ba15cb5cc8cfb566.heic
b7a9e1c0bdb6879708dcfab234f27c00.heic
361599460a7665574fb25b1968601f46.heic
d98ba23e4643fde4c80d0d72d7e7c810.jpg
ecaee72767e7d5668dfb98c7f9a720e1.heic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No compound on this lathe. Instead it has what is known as a "rise & fall" tool-rest.

Think of the era this was made. Cutting cast iron & steel with tools only a little harder than the object being machined.

It was found expedient to be able to adjust the angle of attack of the tool while in the process of cutting - and this adjustment could be made (with a minor variation in diameter) "on the fly" using the rise & fall design. Thus one could "nurse" a cut to completion if one found the cut somehow "bogging down."

One of the disadvantages of rise & fall is that the additional layer of cross slide SERIOUSLY cuts into one's lathe swing capacity. This was gotten around by having the tool post support "moveable" to any section of the slotted cross slide. Your lathe does not have this feature in favor of a dovetailed cross - but you have the wing T-slots for temporary attachment of yet another (now probably lost) shorter slide. So in many ways this lathe is even more flexible than many modern lathes limited by the position of a compound located centrally.

You can pick up or modify a slide for use on the wing cross slide slots.

From the look of this lathe/legs, I would guess this a Putnam production from shortly after the construction of the "new" shop in 1868 - which marked a then "modernization" of the Putnam line. The fact that the tailstock box casting does not include a "tool shelf" between the legs kind of dates this one before 1871 when Putnam patented this shelf - which became instantly popular and was widely copied by most makers of the era.

It would be a "keepah" in my shop. If I had room.

Joe in NH

No compound on this lathe. Instead it has what is known as a "rise & fall" tool-rest.

Think of the era this was made. Cutting cast iron & steel with tools only a little harder than the object being machined.

It was found expedient to be able to adjust the angle of attack of the tool while in the process of cutting - and this adjustment could be made (with a minor variation in diameter) "on the fly" using the rise & fall design. Thus one could "nurse" a cut to completion if one found the cut somehow "bogging down."

One of the disadvantages of rise & fall is that the additional layer of cross slide SERIOUSLY cuts into one's lathe swing capacity. This was gotten around by having the tool post support "moveable" to any section of the slotted cross slide. Your lathe does not have this feature in favor of a dovetailed cross - but you have the wing T-slots for temporary attachment of yet another (now probably lost) shorter slide. So in many ways this lathe is even more flexible than many modern lathes limited by the position of a compound located centrally.

You can pick up or modify a slide for use on the wing cross slide slots.

From the look of this lathe/legs, I would guess this a Putnam production from shortly after the construction of the "new" shop in 1868 - which marked a then "modernization" of the Putnam line. The fact that the tailstock box casting does not include a "tool shelf" between the legs kind of dates this one before 1871 when Putnam patented this shelf - which became instantly popular and was widely copied by most makers of the era.

It would be a "keepah" in my shop. If I had room.

Joe in NH
Thank you Joe, your knowledge is always greatly appreciated. It appears I have a lot to learn about this new acquisition that I will refer to as a “keepaa ” also.. A little bit offices as to what you said about the cross slide, I understand what you’re saying about the up-and-down adjustment, that makes sense now but this also has a dovetail cross slide on it. Where would I find the serial number for this? I’m curious as to what it is. I start my dissembly tonight you and getting it inside start cleaning the rust and dust That didn’t blow off on his way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Original Rise & Fall

DSC00228.jpg

Thanks Larry.

Note this has two radially located "v-slides". A little later version of this lathe would possibly have slider shoes to track the front of the rise & fall element. For all, the rear of the rise & fall element is guided by vertical stops with the elevation controlled by the crank. This is the classic "weighted lathe" of Daniel Wilkinson with three point suspension, which requires a weight to keep the carriage/rise & fall saddle against the shears of the lathe.

Another more recent three point suspension lathe incorporates T-slots along the upper surface of the T-Rise & Fall.

172371d1464303554-lathe-morse-lathe-ebay-lathe-morse.jpg

Note also the tool post has its own little stand - which can be moved around the T-slots and placed where needed. Large diameter cuts out on the horns of the "T" are necessarily light, but possible to cut to nearly the maximum swing of the lathe without hindrance by the carriage.

A bit later your Putnam design developed. Some makers/buyers seems to want a full dovetail cross-slide - larger lathes of this ilk tended to go to a dovetail. A separate tool post was probably supplied with the lathe for the few times the maximum diameter capacity of the lathe was needed. This lathe still weighted but because radial tool adjustment was done on the dovetail, the rise & fall part was radially stationary and the rise occurred by pivoting the rise and fall part at the front edge.

But many makers to get away from a cumbersome and heavy hanging weight decided to incorporate a "ball & socket" arrangement on the rise & fall portion elevating screw. The ball and socket would "keep" the rise and fall part solid to the carriage regardless of height setting. And instead makers counted on gibs to hold the carriage to the bed - or simply the combined mass of carriage and apron - or both.

Other makers went with patent "elevating toolposts." A Harris lathe from western Massachusetts was fitted with a "solid" cross-slide but D.L. Harris was a marketer of Chester Van Horn's version of elevating toolpost - which the lathe was absent (those pesky high speed tools remove the necessity and a piece of fine and somewhat intricate mechanism gets left under the workbench in machining expediency.) Here's a pix of the lathe. (Thanks Lester!)

oa88k2.jpg

The latest iteration was with the rise of high speed steel in the early 20th century. This obsoleted the need for rise & fall as a machining aid and instead maximized value on a "solid" tool mount. By this time lathes were built with the convenience of a compound slide which while it lost some capacity of the lathe swing over the carriage, increased the ability to turn short tapers, threading, or quick stub machining without moving the carriage laterally.

The transition to high speed steel was not absolute or immediate. Machinists tend to be traditionalists and Pratt & Whitney continued "weighted" lathes almost to and possibly into the 20th century - marketed as "toolmaker" lathes because of their repeatability and accuracy. Which the weighted aspect excels.

As the 1880 census reported on all these developments.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...0Machinery%20used%20in%20Manufactures&f=false

content

Joe in NH

Original Rise & Fall

DSC00228.jpg

Thanks Larry.

Note this has two radially located "v-slides". A little later version of this lathe would possibly have slider shoes to track the front of the rise & fall element. For all, the rear of the rise & fall element is guided by vertical stops with the elevation controlled by the crank. This is the classic "weighted lathe" of Daniel Wilkinson with three point suspension, which requires a weight to keep the carriage/rise & fall saddle against the shears of the lathe.

Another more recent three point suspension lathe incorporates T-slots along the upper surface of the T-Rise & Fall.

172371d1464303554-lathe-morse-lathe-ebay-lathe-morse.jpg

Note also the tool post has its own little stand - which can be moved around the T-slots and placed where needed. Large diameter cuts out on the horns of the "T" are necessarily light, but possible to cut to nearly the maximum swing of the lathe without hindrance by the carriage.

A bit later your Putnam design developed. Some makers/buyers seems to want a full dovetail cross-slide - larger lathes of this ilk tended to go to a dovetail. A separate tool post was probably supplied with the lathe for the few times the maximum diameter capacity of the lathe was needed. This lathe still weighted but because radial tool adjustment was done on the dovetail, the rise & fall part was radially stationary and the rise occurred by pivoting the rise and fall part at the front edge.

But many makers to get away from a cumbersome and heavy hanging weight decided to incorporate a "ball & socket" arrangement on the rise & fall portion elevating screw. The ball and socket would "keep" the rise and fall part solid to the carriage regardless of height setting. And instead makers counted on gibs to hold the carriage to the bed - or simply the combined mass of carriage and apron - or both.

Other makers went with patent "elevating toolposts." A Harris lathe from western Massachusetts was fitted with a "solid" cross-slide but D.L. Harris was a marketer of Chester Van Horn's version of elevating toolpost - which the lathe was absent (those pesky high speed tools remove the necessity and a piece of fine and somewhat intricate mechanism gets left under the workbench in machining expediency.) Here's a pix of the lathe. (Thanks Lester!)

oa88k2.jpg

The latest iteration was with the rise of high speed steel in the early 20th century. This obsoleted the need for rise & fall as a machining aid and instead maximized value on a "solid" tool mount. By this time lathes were built with the convenience of a compound slide which while it lost some capacity of the lathe swing over the carriage, increased the ability to turn short tapers, threading, or quick stub machining without moving the carriage laterally.

The transition to high speed steel was not absolute or immediate. Machinists tend to be traditionalists and Pratt & Whitney continued "weighted" lathes almost to and possibly into the 20th century - marketed as "toolmaker" lathes because of their repeatability and accuracy. Which the weighted aspect excels.

As the 1880 census reported on all these developments.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...0Machinery%20used%20in%20Manufactures&f=false

content

Joe in NH

This gives me reason to investigate more closely, as you can guess I have no weight or hanging “ linkage “ that came with the lathe, that does not mean that it wasn’t there, I just never would have suspected that such things would have went with the lathe, oddly enough I will be returning to the site to purchase some other things that I have interest in and will look around for such,, again thank you Joe for useful information. This will be a fun project to restore and I will be looking for some parts if you know of anyone who might be able to assist.

They are old military, standard electric generator ends with hol- gar controls and continental engines , 5k units

Never thought I would see another Hol-Gar, amazing internet! Nice well built machines. I sold mine last year and I think it was a 10 or 12K unit.

Your lathe would not have a weighted carriage, if it did there would not be any ribs between the front and back rails of the lathe.

Good call Bill. This one must be of the "ball & socket" raising screw - which was considered desirable, would be more expensive a lathe, and may even allow more convenient machining of large diameters on the wings of the rise & fall segment. I'll bet the carriage is "gibbed" to the bed, another cost-plus item raising lathe quality and the sort of detail Putnam pioneered in.

And why they came to their reputation.

Here in the Census 1880 book is discussed the "spherical" raising screw.

content

And a pix

content

Joe in NH

Joe, if you phrase “ gibbed” means that there is a means of assuring that the carriage is securely held on the ways, this has a set of roller bearings which I am sure is not original, that is “ spring “ loaded

Joe, if you phrase “ gibbed” means that there is a means of assuring that the carriage is securely held on the ways, this has a set of roller bearings which I am sure is not original, that is “ spring “ loaded

aefcdc1dcc500878bd9a49899ac3ac8d.jpg

f07df4e571c1ce8239c789ff083ad63f.heic
8dae6ca2e11d3256a041cd75dc5fc8a8.heic
6b7d815c544a3768d56fddcbfeda1697.heic
22b6a69358f4369e3f60c6fcf664cef1.heic

Well have the lathe stripped to the bed, vast variety of hardware soaking to de-rust and all is inside out of the weather coming tomorrow, slow rust removal soaking, many hours of elbow grease on these arthritic joints and it wit run again, still trying to find S/N ...

Back