What's new
What's new

Queen Curttlery auction western Pa.

How long have they been shut down? A quick search didn't reveal anything about them. Sure hate to hear it, they were a pretty good old company.

It would be nice to have a few pieces of equipment from there, not that I need it. I can't say that I'm too surprised, but hoped it wouldn't happen.
Guess I'll keep an eye open at the knife dealer for some vintage trade ins.............which will probably go stupid high now.
Sometimes, I hate "progress" :angry:

How long have they been shut down? A quick search didn't reveal anything about them. Sure hate to hear it, they were a pretty good old company.

Sure hate to hear it ?

A friend that is it into knives drove down there to complain
of their quality, grinder marks not polished out, bad fit & finish, etc.

Fell on deaf ears.

I had a bad experience with them as well. I had bought a small folder new to give to a friend the next time I saw him which turned out to be a couple years later. In that time, the scales on the knife, perhaps some kind of yellow polymer, cracked and shrunk. I called the company about getting fixed on warranty and a pleasant voiced woman said a prepaid shipping label would be sent to me. Months go by and I call again. The woman I spoke is no longer with the company but they will fix it if I send it in so off it went. About 9 months later I called to ask about and they said it was almost ready to ship and I got it a few weeks later. While the scales were replaced and no longer cracked, the blade had rather large gouges in it that they attempted to polish out and the bolsters on each end were heavily buffed and looked terrible. Many really cheap knives coming out of China would have shamed this blade. I returned it asking for a replacement it was so bad but didn't hear from them. A friend who had connections with the owner intervened but that did not help me either. My friend told me that the owner told him it was really hard to find people that could do the work or wanted to do the work for the pay they offered. They still have my knife and I think I saw it one of the box lots.

After some searching, ran across something on one of the blade forums about it. Looks like the last years were fairly bad, quality wise. Still sad to see. I wondered how many knives in the boxes were sent in for repair, looked like a lot of them were used.
Dad wasn't much of a "knife man" but remember him saying that when the old guys were one upping each other about knives, whoever had a Queen put an end to it. I'd never ran across a Queen knife in my younger days, finally bought one off an internet outfit some years ago, looks like a good one. A quick look at SMKW shows there are no Queens in stock, still show Schatt & Morgan in stock.
Will have to keep my eye open for some old inventory/trade ins, but bet they will go stupid high now.

One of my many eccentricities is my knife collection, and I treasure the few Queen City knives I have. One is about 1 1/4" long folded, a tiny jewel of a knife with mother of pearl scales. All are very high quality treasures.
I'm very sorry to hear of the closure, who's next? Case?

I would have liked to see them offer something like a Buck 110. They stayed with the old and true pocket knives. For whatever they became, years ago, they were one of the best. Just another sad ending to an American company.

Back