What's new
What's new

Question about size of Machinery's Handbook

RCPDesigns

Hot Rolled
I recently bought the 31st edition of Machinery's Handbook and it arrived today. I was very surprised to see that it was so small. The pages are just a tad over 4" wide. The book is nearly 3" thick and combining that depth with the small width makes it a real challenge to open to and view a page. As for actually reading what is on that page... I needed to use a magnifying glass to do so. I looked around a bit and there is a "large print" version that is about 7" x 10". That is certainly bigger but is still smaller than the typical 8.5"x11"

So, my question... has it always been this small? If the older editions were bigger I might try to find one of those. I have a PDF of of the 29th edition which probably works better for me anyway as I can search through it much easier, view on a 40" monitor and then print the pages I need and take them, and only them, to the shop when needed.

I've never seen one that isn't small. 8x10 or 8-1/2 x 11 would be roughly quarto...Machinery's handbook is octavo. These are very old printer's measurements based on the average size of a sheet of parchment or vellum that pre-dates printing. Octavo is 8 pages to a sheet when folded...quarto is four. A folio page is a single sheet.

I have two copies- 1962 that I keep in the shop and 1939 (the tenth) that I keep at home.

Jeesm! Never thought about the size. Both editions I have are the same size as the upper right hand drawer on the Gertsner tool chest. I've always felt they were meant to be that way.

Yes. It's always been small. The size is referred to as octavo. 8 x 10 or 8-1/2 x 11 would be quarto. These are ancient measurements based on the size of a sheet of vellum or parchment (which was actually specially treated animal skins, usually from a calf, sheep or goats. They pre-date printing and the introduction of paper as we know it...

I was always told by the old guys that it was sized to fit the middle drawer in a Kennedy box, that's what the hole in the drawer bottom is for, to push out. But the handbook was probably around before Kennedy boxes, so there needs to be another theory on size. I have gone to the large print size for the 31st edition. Easier to read with old eyes.

I would think the Kennedy drawer was sized to fit the book, not the other way around. 25th edition approximately 3x5x7

The drawer on my dad's old, old Kennedy box was sized to hold the 7th edition of the American Machinists handbook of the time. The Machinery's Handbook "tool box" edition as we call it is a tad too big for it. The machinery's hand book fits just fine in my two Gerstner tool boxes.

Now days I hardly ever open up any of the tool box size Machinery Handbooks. I have it on pdf on my computer. Nice to print out a full size page on the printer that is bigger than the page size of my large print edition hand book when I need it.

I was given "the Seventeeth Edition" of "Machinery's Handbook" by my parents. It was a gift to me when I was a student at Brooklyn Technical High School, and was a required posession when we were in the Mechanical Course of Study. My 17th edition is dated 1964. I worked out of that text thru my junior & senior years at 'Tech. Students who could not afford to buy the Machinery's Handbook or other required supplies like mechanical drawing instruments were given them by the school. 'Tech was a 'specialized high school' run by NY City Board of Education, and I got an incredible education there.

At the end of our time at 'Tech, those of us in specialized courses of study were required to take a NYS 'Comprehensive Exam' in addition to the usual Regents exams in academic subjects. The "Comp" was two days, the first being devoted to Machine Design and Mechanical Drawing along with Strength of Materials and some Metallurgy. The second day was devoted to shop work, and required doing shop math and writing up 'operations sheets' as to how parts would be made and machined, including knowledge of patternmaking and foundry practice.

I still have the pencilled noted and 'shortcuts' in the fly-leaves of that Machinery's Handbook. We were told to write the formulas and information we'd need the most on the 'Comp' in pencil in the fly leaves, since we were allowed to use the Machinery's Handbook. I wish now I had asked my parents to write something in the fly leaves of that book, as they are both gone.

I have several older editions of Machinery's Handbook and a much newer edition I used at the powerplant before I retired. In all cases, the Machinery's Handbook is sized so it fits into the center/top drawer of a Gerstner chest- or, as is more likely- Gerstner designed that drawer around the size of the handbook.

I've never seen a larger sized edition of Machinery's Handbook. I am nearly 71 years of age, and my eyesight has changed a good bit over the years. I take my glasses off for close work and 'reading the fine print'. Machinerys Handbook does have plenty of 'fine print', and occasionally, I will use a magnifier to make sure an exponent on some formula or other is what I thought it ought to have been.

Using the same copy of Machinery's Handbook for 57 years is not a bad record, and no complaints from me as to size of the book. It is a handy size if you take it into the shop or place it on your drawing table ( I still do my mechanical drawings on a table with triangles, drawings instruments, and pencils) to get data. I am something of a stubborn dinosaur, and do not have a 'smart phone' or 'iPad' (wife, who is 66 does have and is quite competent with these devices, as are our children). I prefer thumbing through an old familiar text with the memories of my parents and the years at Brooklyn Tech, working in the shops, and a career as a mechanical engineer all coming to me as I look up what I need. Gear formulas take me back to my junior year at Tech and a few jobs later on where I had to design gears or reverse engineer them. Thread data, 'mechanics' (moments of inertia, and similar), and much else is used by me in 'retirement', and paging thru the handbook brings back memories of jobs and people over those past 57 years.

Personally, I hope Machinery's Handbook will be kept in the printed version, same size, same green covers. It's tradition. I've given a few copies to young people starting in the machinist trade or as freshly minted mechanical engineers whom I've mentored. Even the young engineers agree that being able to page thru a book and see the diagrams and tabulated data and formulas is quite helpful. Sometimes, if a person does not know the name for something in engineering or machine work, paging thru a handbook (or catalog) will put them on the right track. Using 'artificial intelligence', if the correct terms or something close to it, are not known, it seems like a person can be hunting for awhile. Maybe that's my experience doing online research, but then, I am a stubborn dinosaur and proud of it.

The ARRL Handbook editions go through the same journey. A little new stuff with mostly the old stuff minus a little.

The Machinery Handbook 25th is good enough for me. If print is too small I have a 4.5" diam glass lens from some laser.

if it were the size of the guttenburg bible who could have afforded to buy it . its not a bed side reader it a reference book that needed to be handy when you need it and not take up a lot of room

We have several toolbox editions scattered between desks and toolchest's (tucked in the middle drawer). They're on my list of things to watch for on eBay as if I ever see a toolbox-edition shaped hole in the shop, I'll buy another but an edition we don't have yet. I find it interesting to see the changes over the years, you don't see much different edition to edition, but the modern ones and those from 80-90 years ago have different info, all good to have.

I agree that the print versions are always good to have. We have a digital copy CD set somewhere, but it seems that the prevailing "bad-habit" is that if you need data, you google it and pick and choose what you'll use. That can be helpful for many things, but confusing for others. We'll have a part call out an obscure thread and the guys get conflicting data online. Some from forums, some from Harry-Homeshop's Helpful Charts (PDF edition!), and plenty of others. What do we do, pull out the Handbook. It doesn't have alerts to distract you, a screen to break, or a battery that never charges, and if you're lucky Bob from 40 years ago made a note in the margin to remember said obscure thread.

Great info guys, thanks! The size makes much more sense when one thinks of it as something that would be in a toolbox. I really want to have a print version in addition to PDF so it seems like the best thing for me would be the large-print version.

The drawer on my dad's old, old Kennedy box was sized to hold the 7th edition of the American Machinists handbook of the time. The Machinery's Handbook "tool box" edition as we call it is a tad too big for it. The machinery's hand book fits just fine in my two Gerstner tool boxes.

Now days I hardly ever open up any of the tool box size Machinery Handbooks. I have it on pdf on my computer. Nice to print out a full size page on the printer that is bigger than the page size of my large print edition hand book when I need it.

I think this is a good route for me as well. I've done this before and find that a big advantage (at least for me) is that when my gunk coated fingers flip through the pages I'm just ruining a copy, not the original. The bigger I can make it the more room I have for notes and calculations. For nostalgia reasons I'll look for a vintage copy with the green covers that Joe mentions.

I have multiple copies floating around the shops. Oldest is the 9th edition, newest is the 31st large print edition. As I work on antique tools, guns, machinery, and equipment from time to time it is helpful to have the old versions for the info that has been dropped from the new ones. One example is square threads, less than a paragraph in the new edition, the old ones have over a page of info. Same with leather belt drives.

To echo what MilGunsmith spoke of in his post: I keep an older edition of "Machinery's Handbook" for data used on steam locomotive boiler work, which includes staybolt thread data and rivet data. Some of the data as to figuring shrink fits in the older editions is based on shrinking tires on locomotive drivers and cast iron crank hubs onto steam engine crankshafts. This also has been useful to me a time or two on past jobs.

Our local Barns & Noble Bookstore does occasionally have the large print version. I'm sure any B & N bookstore would order one. I haven't priced one yet.

JH

Back