What's new
What's new

Quincy 5120

dundeeshopnut

Hot Rolled
Due to requests, here is a little info on my portable compressor. 002.jpg004.jpg I had an OLD model Quincy model 350 powered by a THD Wisconsin that got cooked in a barn fire here in 2014, and the insurance paid well for it so I decided to go bigger. Bought the compressor out of Missouri [Ebay] 1000$ and even with 700$ Fedex shipping to the border here it was a deal. Bought a Carrier reefer unit off a buddy down the road, and pulled the [Kubota v2203] engine off it keeping the rad and subframe intact.001.jpg Scrapped the rest of the reefer and almost paid for the engine. Hays Couplings supplied the flywheel adapter and stub shaft to hang a pulley on.003.jpg I had to go with an idler type belt tensioner as the harmonics when starting it direct was not working too well especially when cold. Plumbed in an unloader valve and put the original pressure switch downstream to control the throttle solenoid so she idles down when running unloaded. Bought a 200 gallon air tank from Ritchie bros auction in Montreal [yes, both air vessels had recent certification tags] to give me more [320 gallon] capacity. I works great for sandblasting, cleaning machinery and the barn, and blowing out wells/sewer lines. I just connect a plastic pipe of whatever length I need to a 2" ball valve on the back of the unit. I also use it for running nail guns when doing construction. Pump it up, and it will run a framer all day and part of the next before needing a refill. The rest of the machine was just stuff I had on hand or bought surplus. It will get finished/painted one day,at least that's what I keep telling myself,,,:o

This compressor is just so cool.
Some day I would love to add a compressor like this to my shop.

Very nice! Those 5120's are monsters! A portable tow-behind unit would do the same thing, but how boring is that? Putting something together from collected parts is way more satisfying.

:cheers:

I built this because most tow behinds I've seen have no reserve and all I have come across won't put out 180 psi. Also very little oil carryover. In fact these pumps are even used for offshore diving supplied air, [with the proper setup and oil.]

I have seen some portables that are high pressure, up to 500 psi. But they are a whole 'nother layer of expensive.

I built this because most tow behinds I've seen have no reserve and all I have come across won't put out 180 psi. Also very little oil carryover. In fact these pumps are even used for offshore diving supplied air, [with the proper setup and oil.]

Back