Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Quincy pump I.D.

I'm looking at a listing for what is described as a 10 horsepower Quincy pump for an attractive price. I'm interested in feeding through/supplementing my existing 32 gallon air supply for sand blasting and I have tight spatial constraints. A 'skid' unit like this with the ability to install pneumatic unloader towers for dual-control operation is very appealing to me.

I'm curious if anyone here in-the-know could take a glance at this guy and spit out a model number for me. I *think* it might be a 340? The shape of the crank-case and rear cap are consistent with a 340 but most pictures show them with 8 fins on the back instead of 6. Older/newer record-of-change perhaps?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, that's definitely not a 340. 340 is a 2 stage pump. That is a single stage compressor so it would be a 2XX model.

If it has atleast 3 belt grooves in the flywheel it probably is a 10+ HP pump and it will deliver a lot of sub-120 PSI air.

I have never seen that style of intake valve cover before. I don't know if those are unloader capable or not. That has no unloading ability as it sits, not even the standard oil pressure style.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe a model 270?

Looks kind of similar and shows unloader towers... But again, 8 ribs instead of 6. Weird.

http://coulsoncompression.com/resour...104_Feb08_.pdf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those hex bits on top of the two intake valves almost look like diaphragm unloaders, no? The plain unloader-less head shown in the manual depicts the caps pictured on the exhaust side covering all four valves. That, or it *had* unloaders at one point and someone removed them?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Solved.

I finally heard back from the seller. No wonder I was having difficulty figuring it out. It's a model 244, ROC #11. Very old and none too common. Can't find much literature on it.

Nameplate shows it has having a 4" bore and 3-1/2" stroke. Basically a model 240 but with a one-half inch longer stroke. Hence, 10HP motor instead of 7-1/2.

I did some digging around in the legend book for the 244 and found an extensive series of changes to the pilot unloader assemblies between ROC 15 and ROC 37. I've confirmed those ARE unloader assemblies on the intake valves - just a very early type. The ROC dates it between 1947 and 1948. Period-correct for the rest of the machinery in my shop, incidentally.

RC-244-11-1607: Duplex pump with pilot unloader. Ostensibly either disconnected at some point or ordered as an option but never used.

Interestingly they also made them with HAND unloaders in the form of flat hexagons instead of domed, with little knurled push buttons sticking up.
    Last edited by Just a Sparky; 07-30-2021 at 10:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool I purchased …..

Purchased a small single stage Quincy pump off eBay years ago. Seller couldn’t get compressor to start after initial cycle. When I received pump Hydralic unloader valve ferrule still had factory over spray paint inside, thus never connected. Served me well for years. Also own a 390 Quincy that came with centrifugal unloader. I built a hydraulic unloader with Chevy 7 psi oil pressure unit, solenoid valve and 12v dc wall wart. Oil gear key sheared and it went into free wheeling saving the crankshaft.