racine power hacksaw - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bmwduck View Post
    Suppose the blade lift was completely non-functional (or removed), would the saw still cut relatively normal, except that there would be more wear on the blade due to drag on the teeth during the return stroke?
    I am wondering how functional the saw will be as is, if lift does does not work.
    Patrick,
    I have a primitive power hacksaw which does not lift on the return stroke, and it never has. None the less, it works well...slow, but well. I don't have coolant either, though sometimes I put a bit of cutting oil on the cut. A slow old saw would be annoying if you had to stand there e.g. cutting multiple thin sections, but most of my work seems to use solid rounds. So I can leave it cutting and it stops stroking when the cut is finished.

Someone above says it is hard to get the blades he needs - my saw uses 12" blades, but I was given a stack of 16" blades. I have found it possible to drill through the HSS blade with a carbide drill and they work fine. BTW, do not use cutting oil when drilling with carbide, the carbide will shatter...

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I started off with a Racine Oilcut......often I would be in the shop past 2am sawing up steel at a painfully slow rate......then ,I put in a tender on an ex railways Parkanson horizontal,that had the arm broken,and rewelded with bronze by the railways.......mate,the thing flew thru the steel,I could cut big washers with it,2mm thick,or 20mm thick ,it was that accurate.I mounted it on a turntable from a truck,and it cut big beams at an angle...magic...And it used cheap carbon steel bands,not much dearer than the hacksaw blades that had to be HSS.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I do appreciate all the responses.
    I have been fabricating a motor mount, so I should be able to power the thing up soon.

While I did find some patent filings, I have yet to find even a picture of the model that I have.

Mostly I acquired it because it is old and looks interesting.
    I will use it for it's intended purpose, just not a whole lot.

Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The teeth on my Racine look pretty good, but they slip, when it goes to lift. I have been pondering how to deal with it. No doubt the large size of it doesn't help.......it is bigger than the other saws I have seen. I had toyed with cutting a new rack, with somewhat larger teeth and going to a single point pawl to lift it. Maybe changing the geometry on the pawl a bit, so it "wedges" a bit when it engages.

It just doesn't seem to be a very good design.