Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueMac View Post
    This thread is a presentation of 3 early, interesting and rare Starrett tools found and researched by Roger K. Smith. I have done this thread entirely on my iPad, so I hope it works for his sake.

Most tool collectors know the name of Roger K. Smith. Many own his fabulously researched, written and illustrated books, Patented Transitional & Metallic Planes in America, vols 1 & 2. And many identify their planes referencing his seminal Stanley plane Type Studies. But, few know that Roger also is a fabulous finder and researcher of antique machinist tools.

Below in his own words and including his pictures I edited to hopefully fit are the finds.
    Roger K. Smith wrote:

“I am sending you info on 3 Starrett tools that you can report for your chat group.
    Attached in this email are photos of the early Vernier Caliper. This caliper is only shown in the May 1st, 1886 catalog. It is not shown in the 1884 catalog (and 1885 catalog is not known). 1887 catalog is not available and it is not shown in the 1888 or later catalogs. Apparently the No. 28 Caliper Square, shown in at least the 1888 and later catalogs, replaced it. The specimen is identical to the catalog description. Assembly (No.) 29 is stamped on the inside faces of both the parts with a locking screw (one locking-screw is missing).”

“This is the first Starrett Vulcan Screwdriver in captivity that I am aware of. It is a 6” size, but is actually 6 ¾” total length. The only marks are PAT’D MAY 7, OCT. 8, 1889 stamped on the shank. (I could not find any Starrett patents for those dates.) It is only shown in the Catalog No. 13 (c. 1895 reprint). It may be in Catalog No. 12, but I do not have that catalog available.”

“The Starrett Catalog No. 22 (1919) illustrates the No. 650 and 650-M Micrometers. The cut shows the L.S. Starrett Co. markings, etc. stamped or cast into the face of the frame. This reminded me of the Brown & Sharp Brownie micrometer of about the same vintage. This does have Brownie cast inside the face of the frame. I had been looking for an example of the No. 650 for several years. As luck would have it last fall, within a month, I found a No. 650 and a No. 650-M. Neither of them has any markings on the frame. The No. 650 has L. S. Starrett Co., etc. stamped on the thimble, but no number. The No. 650-M has the Starrett Co. imprint and No. 650-M stamped on the thimble. Apparently another example of the “artist’s license” when putting together a catalog.”

Note the resemblance of the Nuts on the Vernier Calipers to the Nut on the earliest Try-Squares.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A previously unknown ad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails pw1g5y9.jpg  

3. Likes honrick liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This is from an old salesman business card showing six of what looks like the Starrett screwdrivers. The larger one is about 15 inches long, and this size is not in the Starrett catalog above. This is the only image I know of showing the smaller screwdrivers with the tapered handles.

stc_card.jpg

5. Likes honrick, SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I like the knurled screwdriver handle.
    As an evil engineer, I would love to
    make a print with a handle like that
    and send it off to confuse the machine
    shop guys. LOL
    I wonder what a real "good" handle looks
    like. I assume a very convex radius wheel
    was used. I don't think you could ever
    have a "perfect" knurl, as the diameter
    is always changing in the tear drop shape
    that is the handle. The line artwork of
    course looks perfect.

-Doozer

7. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by apolune View Post
    This is from an old salesman business card showing six of what looks like the Starrett screwdrivers. The larger one is about 15 inches long, and this size is not in the Starrett catalog above. This is the only image I know of showing the smaller screwdrivers with the tapered handles.

stc_card.jpg
    The small ones are pretty plain to the eye.

The larger ones are magnificent !

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This large format, hardbound catalog is circa 1890. A great many Standard Tool, Stevens, Wyke, Walker (and others) illustrated and priced.

But the Starrett Vulcans I find most intriguing.

ELECTRICIAN VULCANs with Mica Handles ? I wonder if they are Gray, Black, or RED ?? And if the Mica sparkles ?

Red handles were very popular at the time (S&W not mine )

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been reading and learning a few things on this website for a while, but this is my first time contributing. The thread that i'm looking at is pretty old and i'm not sure how all this works, so pardon my ignorance. I was reading about Roger Smith's new rare discoveries and it talks about the Starrett 650 mics. I just bought 2 on Ebay (different sellers), 1 with ratchet stop, 1 without. Pretty cool. There was someone that gave a link to COFES micrometers and it shows a Starrett mic with a frame like a 650 and a thimble like their early mics with the speeder knob on the end. I know what that is. In catalog 15, page 29 they are mics just like that. #210 with the spindle lock and #211 without. Also with a rubber stamp across the page "Micrometers Page 29 of catalog 15 Withdrawn". Evidently they made these for a short time and for whatever reason stopped. I have a pic but I haven't figured out how to post those yet. Another funny thing is #210 is used again starting in catalog 24, 1927. That is an outside thread comparator mic and looks like a #436. #211 is not used again until much later, after 1938, before 1967.I have a gap.That is an outside mic with a rounded anvil. Hope I helped, but that's probably common knowledge now and i'm the last one to find out, LOL.

11. Likes rivett608, SalemRule liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks and welcome.

Thanks and welcome to the PM.great information, have never thought about a company releasing a product, then withdrawing only to release again later.

Try to figure out the photo posting, we would love to see this.

I have a 650 mint in the box. They are cool.

13. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is the pic of the Starrett mics models 210 & 211 from the #15 catalog (@ 1898?)210-211-mics.jpg Here is the 650 mic I just got. I have another one coming. It was really dirty and neglected, but no rust. Cleaned up great.650-mic.jpg

15. Likes SalemRule, rivett608 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an early Starrett #120 inside mic set like the one in catalog 13 (1895). As far as I know it is the first type. Pat Appl'd For. It is in very good condition except it appears to be missing the "binding screw" that locks the spindle. Now it is just an empty hole. On the opposite side it has a knurled peg that is stationary. It's boogered up a bit where someone tried to unscrew it. My question is, does anyone have this tool or a picture so I can see what it is supposed to look like?120-mic.jpg120-mica.jpg120-micb.jpg120-micc.jpg120-micd.jpg The only reference I have is catalog 13 and Kenneth Cope's book with the same information.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have an early Starrett #120 inside mic set like the one in catalog #13. As far as I know it is the first type (Pat Appl'd For). it's in very good condition except it seems to be missing the "binding screw" that locks the spindle. Now it is just an empty hole. On the opposite side there is a knurled peg that is stationary. it's boogered up a bit where someone tried to unscrew it. My question is, does anyone have this tool or a picture so I can see what it's supposed to look like. The only reference I have is catalog 13 and Kenneth Cope's book with the same information.120-mic.jpg120-mica.jpg120-micb.jpg120-micc.jpg

18. Likes SalemRule liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More pics120-micd.jpg120-mice.jpg120-micf.jpg

20. Likes SalemRule, rivett608 liked this post