What's new
What's new

Reed Prentice 9" swing, Liberty Ship, 1941 lathe problem.

LAF

Plastic
My RP lathe has been completely reliable until this morning. Inspite of being 80 years old it has never exhibited this problem. The lead screw turns in either direction, at either speed. Neither the crossed feed clutch or the main ways clutch will engage and create movement. It worked yesterday doing some very simple turning. I am hesitant to dive into the entire main ways to find the problem. It is an oil leaker, but the drive appears to be mechanical. Any suggestions? Laf

Maybey

Normal apron clutch layout will have a three position lever

None of the apron feeds (not threads) - will work in this CENTER position

So - right end low on face of apron - you will find a three position lever - put it in L or R position - not center

Broken key somewhere inside the apron or an issue with the clutch? If the feed selector lever refuses to leave neutral then that would suggest an issue with the interlocking mechanism between the threading half nuts and the feed selector. If there's power going into the apron but no power coming out then the issue lies somewhere in the apron. (Or potentially the person standing in front of it.)

Worse yet, the key driving the cone gear in the apron has completely worn out and the lead screw is just spinning in the gear and not driving anymore. This should be a easy check by shining a flash light down the lead screw and seeing if the key is engaged in the keyway in the lead screw or not. Probably more difficult to see than said. Ken

In other words - the key in this SMALLER bevel gear has to be doing its job. Not at all unusual for them to wear out and fail

RP Apron 1930.jpg

I'll guess without going back to look at RP scan again that RP used a (feed) drive rod to turn this gear, not the lead screw (like in some L&S)

Last edited:
..............................................................I'll guess without going back to look at RP scan again that RP used a drive rod to turn this gear, not the lead screw (like in some L&S)

Couldn't remember if RP had a feed rod or if the leadscrew did all of the work.

Back