What's new
What's new

Reed Vise Missing Part

memguy

Plastic
I have an old Reed Vise (204R) that was kept in my garage. I had a small fire in the garage and most of my tools had smoke damage. The clean up company took my vise off location to clean, I just notice a part is missing that keeps the vise stationary while using. I have the handle but the bolt? that tightens the vise down is missing. Can someone show/tell me what the bolt? looks like and where I might find a replacement?
Reed Mgf tells me my vise is so old the part is obsolete. I am posting pictures of the model and location of the part. Thanks

[/ATTACH]Screen Shot 2020-10-25 at 10.39.32 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2020-10-25 at 10.39.46 AM.jpg

Is this the handle that locks it from swiveling? I have so vises of other brands and those bolts just seem to be carriage bolts, the square keeps them from turning.
Not sure that is what you need though.

Not all Reeds used the "gear section" style locking mechanism that Larry's most shows. Depends on the era, and the size of the vise.

I would post over on Garage Journal... There's a lot of vise enthusiasts and collectors over there who might have parts I could point you in the right direction.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not all Reeds used the "gear section" style locking mechanism that Larry's most shows. Depends on the era, and the size of the vise.

I would post over on Garage Journal... There's a lot of vise enthusiasts and collectors over there who might have parts I could point you in the right direction.

I guess the OP should post pictures of the bottom of the vise base (with the lights turned on). That would make it easy to see if the base has internal gear teeth or a simple slot for a carriage bolt. And it might be helpful to know the thread size of the nut.

That link I provided was to pictures copied from Garage Journal, by the way.

Larry

That's a good page on Reed. They made a lot more vises than I was aware of.

I see he is using a pic of my Reed 404 in his listing.... there must not be many of them around. I was hoping he had some more info on it!

Here are a couple pages from an early 30s Reed catalog, with a description of the swivel base clamp as a "wedge shaped bolt". Some better photos (preferably disassembled) of the OP's vise would help a great deal.

Reed's location in Erie, PA is not far from where I grew up in Westfield, NY... the Wright family (who still owns Reed) had a home there, and owned some land next door to my parents. John Wright gave my dad a Reed drill press vise that he still uses. I have Reed 106, 205 1/2, and 406 vises... always hoped to find an 8" or 9", just to have as a conversation piece.
c8823225dffd13b14b2d376947f978d5.jpg
9dc5d53a073f4ef32d58dd9f94b0cd1a.jpg

I think the part is called a wedge bolt. The threads are not common..I taken the small handle to several hardware stores to see if a carriage bolt would work...threads are different.

Generally speaking, the only source for parts like that is eBay. There are a couple of guys who part out broken vises and generally know what they have. They won't part out a good vise, and they're usually pretty helpful. I have been able to get parts to fix a couple of vises that way, but it takes patience, and checking regularly. This is the kind of part that won't last long and some vise guys will buy them just to have one stashed away.

The vise restorers/collectors on GJ aren't likely to sell you any parts they might have....because they know sooner or later they'll wish they had them back. You might be able to get one of those guys to make a drawing or give you some dimensions.

I have only a couple of Reeds left. One is a 1C which might have the same size wedge bolt as the 204R. I believe the thread is some sort of gain twist, but can't recall. Can you measure the ID of the opening of the nut part and tell me what it is? I can check the vise I have and compare.

Back