What's new
What's new

Removing Drive Gear On Keller 3C Power Hacksaw

LewisCobb

Aluminum
I'm removing the drive gear on a Keller 3c power hacksaw and am wondering if there is any reason I cannot hammer on the shaft end pushing the shaft and crank shaft disc out the other side. I don't really want to use a gear puller as I can only get a hold of the gear on the edge. I've taken out the set screw for the gear and loaded it up with Kroil but it seems to be well stuck on the shaft.

Thanks for any help people can provide !

Lewis

I'm removing the drive gear on a Keller 3c power hacksaw and am wondering if there is any reason I cannot hammer on the shaft end pushing the shaft and crank shaft disc out the other side. I don't really want to use a gear puller as I can only get a hold of the gear on the edge. I've taken out the set screw for the gear and loaded it up with Kroil but it seems to be well stuck on the shaft.

Thanks for any help people can provide !

Lewis
picture is worth a 1000 words, may help

I'll post up a few pics when I am back at the house later but I may have discovered something that might be fetching the gear up. Looks like a ding on the end of the shaft has created a bit of a burr that is preventing the gear from slipping off. I almost didn't see it as it's under a mess of paint. I tried filing it down but it's so close to the gear surface I'd never truly get rid of it - just reduce it to a small fillet. I'm now thinking about removing the key somehow, then rotating the gear so that the key notch lines up with the burr on the shaft. It will slip off then or being able to get a file at it in that position would remove it quickly.

Back