What's new
What's new

restoration of ships saw

That is an L. Power company saw, as they said, made in Philadelphia (where I am from). My families iron works had Power wood working machinery, among others, and I believe my father knew or knew of the Power family.

On the other hand I am tired of neophytes showing us what they know and don't know and and having lots of free young help and acting in movies. I might be a little jealous but mostly I am skeptical of our entertainment.

Leo did find somebody to fix up the ship saw a bit- some field expedients to improve that wallowed out pinion shaft along with lubrication and adjustment. Seems like the table has some issues with flatness, probably also the usual kinds of old machinery problems that really need a full teardown in a proper shop but it'll keep staggering along I imagine....

If I wasn't occupied with job and family I'd be out there in a second working on his boat.

In the wooden sailboat department, the Acorn to Arabella folks got a pro local machinist to make some stuff with their Seneca Falls lathe and Bridgeport.

I got a bigger bandsaw than that when the Qld Railways closed the bridge shop at Banyo...made around 1911 ,(when the Banyo depot was built),in New Jersey,USA. Under a foot of oily wood dust it still had the original black enamel and the makers transfers ..the bottom wheel needed a pit for the work table to be accessable.There the story ends ,cause you dont want to hear the rest.

In March I'm going to spend a week, maybe two, working in Tulsa on the S/V Seeker :D

It's just 8 hours from where I live and there is parking and electricity for my Motorhome. As they feed you it should be a very cheap and enjoyable adventure..

I've watched Leo and Acorn to Arabella for years and maybe someday I'll head up there to help them out also.

Back