What's new
What's new

Restoring or Clean Up of a Early 1800s Lathe

So I figured I would start a new thread on the work that will go into getting this old lathe back into operating condition. I would ideally like to set it up for transportation eventually as well to show at maybe schools and or machinery meetups. Additionally, I would greatly appreciate any and all advice on how to properly restore/clean up this old gal. Also feel free to put in your two cents on possible age and maker.

I will get detailed photos this weekend of all the parts and try to set it up to get an idea of what we are working with. For now I leave you with the photo of when I found her. Sitting in a basement in Goshen, CT. Im going to try and talk to local machine guys/gals and see if anyone knew the former owner. Im also talking to the former owners daughter.

Attachments

• F721783F-E3B2-4899-8863-295870B794D0.jpg
    F721783F-E3B2-4899-8863-295870B794D0.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 236
If you want to make it "period" and functional while keeping it mobile, You might consider building it onto a skid with framework above for the counter-shaft. I'm doing that with a 1900 tool and cutter grinder in my garage. You could also do the same on a flat-bed trailer.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-and-history/antique-cincinnati-tool-grinder-info-219844/index4.html(see post #80)
My current set-up is using a big old electric motor to spin the shafting. If I was taking this thing to fairs or something, I'd probably make friends with some old tractor guys and see if I could park behind them and run a flat-belt between our exhibits.

IMO building it into a framework keeps the headstock from getting covered up with all the bracketry involved in mounting a gearbox and motor. It's also a little like stepping into a little "cube" of the past. Downside is that it takes a larger area of shop to run the machine.

Im uploading a few pictures tonight. Between a sick wife and getting home too late, I haven't been able to touch the lathe until tonight. I also ran out of light and have a new stove that's crated in my way. :crazy:

I can't tell if the paint is an later addition to the lathe or original. Where items were taken off, I have found paint underneath. I have not found any marking except for the cutting bit saying Armstrong Bros out of Chicago, ILL.

If anyone can throw insight or opinions as to what we are looking at, I would greatly appreciate it. By insight, I mean if you see something out of place, let me know.

Enjoy the photos.

Attachments

• unnamed (13).jpg
    unnamed (13).jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 73
  • unnamed (12).jpg
    unnamed (12).jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 69
  • unnamed (11).jpg
    unnamed (11).jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 66
  • unnamed (10).jpg
    unnamed (10).jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 66
and more....

Attachments

• unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 76
  • unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 77
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 72
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 72
  • unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 76
last but not least

Attachments

• unnamed (9).jpg
    unnamed (9).jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 79
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 79
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 77
Nice paint, it could be original or at the least very old. Also there will not be any steel parts on the lathe, only wrought iron and cast iron. The Armstrong tool holder is probably 60 years newer than the lathe.

The lathe is in remarkable condition for its age. I second Bill - paint is original from the looks of things. Please do your best in preserving original finish.

To clean the machined surfaces, I use a razor blade scraper. Afterwards, I coat the surface with WD40 and clean things up a bit more with extra fine Scotch Brite. I like to let a little patina show to give the machine character and age. Finally, wipe down the machine surfaces with a rag or towel. Then I move on to the painted (non-machined surfaces).

I have had success using rags and a soft bristle brush soaked in a mild powered detergent with warm water for the non-machined surfaces. To remove the soapy water, I use a large sponge soaked in water. Then I dry everything down and soak the now-clean-area with a mixture of 50/50 ATF and kerosene.

You have to keep a close watch on letting the soapy solution sit on the paint. Depending on the condition of the paint and concentration of the liquid you mix up, it may take the paint off if left on the surface for an extended period of time. I keep my water-soaked sponge handy to clean the painted area immediately after removing dirt, grime, or grease.

For the wood surfaces, you may just want to try something like simple green and a rag??? I've never had to clean wood surfaces on my machines. Maybe someone can chime in on what they used in the past.

Have fun! Jake

The tailstock is typical design of the 1820s to possibly as late as the 1840s. Many of these earlier lathes have similar castings and ornamentation and overall engineering. There were a few builders that started to show up in the 1830s that specifically built machine tools to sell but many of these earlier machine tools were built in the machine shops of the textile mills as these machines were used to build and repair the textile machinery. Then in the early 1830s some shops started to sell machine tools like Moore & Colby and Silver & Gay just to name some of the firms that became large scale manufacturers. There were hundreds of smaller operations. Without a stamped initials or name etc you will likely never truly know who the builder was.

Lately I have been using GOJO NON-pumice hand cleaner on a soft bristle paintbrush...this seems to work real well and wipes off rather easy. Once I have cleaned the painted areas I coat areas in sections using Penetrol... let set for a minute or two and wipe off with a clean lint free rag. The Penetrol is also very good for the wood... and just as a friendly reminder throw the penetrol soaked rags in a safe location so they dry out and don't burn your house down.

Back