Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I beveled the edges then cut the extra off the top and started punching holes. What I planned to be a practice part is coming out fine and with a little luck the next 5 will as well. I took the ring to work and drilled out the holes then took a .02 cut out of the Id to make the next ones easier to make I hope.
    img_1544.jpg
    img_1545.jpg
    img_1546.jpg
    img_1547.jpg
    img_1548.jpg

2. Likes Peter S, pan60 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We took a ride to Helena Montana and picked up my parts I dropped off for chrome plating, they sure look good, I am really impressed with the spotlights as smashed up as they started but there ain't no more to be had so we straightened them.
    img_1613.jpg
    img_1614.jpg
    img_1615.jpg
    img_1616.jpg
    img_1617.jpg

4. Likes dalmatiangirl61 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bullwinkle's wife and kid were out for a stroll, they wanted to see the sun come up over Wisdom
    img_1604.jpg
    img_1590.jpg
    img_1592.jpg
    img_1619.jpg

Plating, I want to share a very good experiance.

Decorative Industrial Plating | Metal Finishing in Brass, Copper, Chrome and Other Metals

They are a small but capable shop in Helena Montana, they are easy to work with and do very nice work. I am not associated in any way but I can't be the only one that needs a plater they can trust. I will be sending not only more of my 1941 Indian Four parts to them but many of the parts we produce in out CNC machine shop. I can't say how excited I am as some parts like the fender tip and spot lights looked as though they smashed by a truck, I straightened them some with my small ball peen then they made them look better than new!

6. Likes rustytool liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    Bullwinkle's wife and kid were out for a stroll, they wanted to see the sun come up over Wisdom
    img_1604.jpg
    img_1590.jpg
    img_1592.jpg
    img_1619.jpg

Plating, I want to share a very good experiance.

Decorative Industrial Plating | Metal Finishing in Brass, Copper, Chrome and Other Metals

They are a small but capable shop in Helena Montana, they are easy to work with and do very nice work. I am not associated in any way but I can't be the only one that needs a plater they can trust. I will be sending not only more of my 1941 Indian Four parts to them but many of the parts we produce in out CNC machine shop. I can't say how excited I am as some parts like the fender tip and spot lights looked as though they smashed by a truck, I straightened them some with my small ball peen then they made them look better than new!
    I wonder if they can do rims properly? I have had some done and the plating lifted by the spoke holes.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I wonder if they can do rims properly? I have had some done and the plating lifted by the spoke holes.
    I wonder if that was caused by too sharp of corners, plating builds up too thick and strange at sharp corners, perhaps a bit of a chamfer would help?

They have been at it a long time and I am certain they could help cure it if you sent them a few pics.

I got to see some pot metal emblems they were able to save by copper plating, soldering up the holes, smooth them then finish the plating process, quite amazing to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if that was caused by too sharp of corners, plating builds up too thick and strange at sharp corners, perhaps a bit of a chamfer would help?

They have been at it a long time and I am certain they could help cure it if you sent them a few pics.

I got to see some pot metal emblems they were able to save by copper plating, soldering up the holes, smooth them then finish the plating process, quite amazing to see.
    Are they reasonable as far as price? After 20 years my show winning '69 Triumph Bonneville is looking like a barn find and needs some help. The original Dunlop rims are not available any more.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought they were based on the poor condition of the parts I took them though I could have bought new parts for about the same cost as re-finishing my original parts not counting a nickle an hour for my time. I wanted to keep my original ones

Have you checked with these folks for those rims?

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc - Contact Us

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I thought they were based on the poor condition of the parts I took them though I could have bought new parts for about the same cost as re-finishing my original parts not counting a nickle an hour for my time. I wanted to keep my original ones

Have you checked with these folks for those rims?

Buchanan's Spoke & Rim, Inc - Contact Us
    My go to for wheels since the late 70's.

12. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've had Decorative Industrial Plating do some chrome for me also. I agree they were great to work with and reasonable.

14. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    West Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    The 841 and XA were inspired by the shaft drive BMWs the Germans used in North Africa where the sand ate up chains. By the time they were ready, the campaign was over.

Bill
    I heard that they also had trouble with the rear cylinder on the Harley v twins overheating in Africa. I've seen a couple XAs in museums, but was unaware of the 841.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk