Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The big adventure today was to start work on my exhaust, the original was too high limiting the size of my saddle bags to quite small. I bought some mandrel "S" bends from flowmaster, a pair of 4", 6", and 8 inch offsets as I couldn't find much else and on ebay the price was OK though as luck would have it they put the seam on the side that shows so I have a bit more metalwork than I had planned for. The 4 inch offset looked about right so this morning I rough cut it and set to work making the mushroomed end of my 8 foot digging bar into an anvil so I could round out my tube where the bender pooched it up, crimped it down and of course the seam running the length of it on the good side. I picked up a tube expander I could run with an impact driver to make it fit over the nipple on the enamel cast iron exhaust manifold, it worked quite well. I think I will take it back to the mushroom anvil for a bit more tapping later. The flat bar behind the anvil is so I can better remember where the mushroom head of the anvil is when I go to beating on it with my 2oz ball peen.
    img_1301.jpg
    img_1296.jpg
    img_1295.jpg
    img_1299.jpg
    img_1300.jpg

2. Likes dalmatiangirl61, Peter S, Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had to veer off for a few days and put together some more oil pressure gauges that fit the Indian fours from the 20's to 1942, not exactly related other than one of them will end up on this bike. They have a 1/4 compression fitting rather than pipe, the needle is 3/8" below center and they have a copy of the original face.The needle comes out of .025 brass sheet on the waterjet, the hub has a taper in it to fit the shaft that is only about .025 with a 1/2 degree taper, you should see the boring bar, the needle and hub are staked together then painted white. I have to adjust them so they read good at 25, 50 and 75 psi. After I get a half dozen or so I will tuck them in their black powder coated housings then seal them up with a gasket, glass and a bezel, then they are off to the boss so she can package them. This gives me something to do while the VMC's are making chips.
    img_1305.jpg
    img_1306.jpg
    img_1308.jpg
    img_1309.jpg
    img_1310.jpg

4. Likes DrHook, Peter S, Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How much do you ride with on your Indian? Had to cut my stuff back quite a bit to fit reasonably in the smaller bags on my R6. Tools & gear was something like 30lbs on the Bandit (balanced on both sides). Now I have "local ride" tools and gear in the tailbag, and "long ride" stuff in the removable panniers- tool selection is reduced which I'm still on the fence about, but like the more compact setup...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have not ridden it yet other than a few mins on an old airstrip but up until the last few years I put about 100,000 miles a year on motorcycles but that is split between 4 to 6 of them. I plan to make something along the lines of these and as seen on this v-twin they look like they belong but for some reason they ran the exhaust straight out the back from the manifold putting it about 4 inches higher than this one in the pic, this could be one of those things I tend to do just because I want to and not as practical as perhaps one should be. I have large bags on all of my bikes and they seem to keep full but there are very few tools unless I head off to Alaska or some such, however I am a real big guy and my leather jacket will fill the biggest saddlebag.

ac3ffb5eb29ec009c7f0fba3231f55d0.jpg

This shows them mounted higher, I like the look of the ones on the girls bike better

images.jpg

7. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yeah those are pretty close in capacity to the ones I'm running now- had big Givi hard bags on the Bandit. They were great but quite large. Before 2018 I was running about 20k miles/yr, then wrecked, got the R6 but not it riding hard, then covid etc... hoping 2021 is back to more riding

still trying to find more of the base layer pants and shirt I had been using; medics cut them off me in 2018- fast drying breathable stuff to wear under the riding pants and jacket; easy to wash every night in the motel room sink & dry by morning.

9. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once they find out the gear you like the best they quit making it, wondered about that for quite a few years now

11. Likes Greg Menke liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Really liked my old Fox Creek jacket- enough long miles so it had the proper fade from rain and sun and it fit just right... lol cut that off me too. They don't make the same one so have Hillside leather now- a better piece all around I think, but FCL had a better liner setup for cold weather.

Agree with you on the bags- a good match on the B&W bike- you going for decorative bags - tassles and whatnot? Seems a good look on a classic old bike like that. Mounting bags on a crotch rocket is also challenging due to the pipe, angling up like it usually does.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Menke View Post
    still trying to find more of the base layer pants and shirt I had been using......

- fast drying breathable stuff to wear under the riding pants and jacket; easy to wash every night in the motel room sink & dry by morning.
    No need to be a biker to appreciate that gear. Wife and I managed 50-plus countries toured partly off the back of going in chilly, rainy fall season when everything, air to lodging to rental wheels to food - is dirt CHEAP!

So it has been "standard uniform" for ages.

Wearing it NOW, so I am comfy in a residence in the 50's and 60's, given last month's electric bill was nearly $600 bucks.

Just checked the dresser drawers for the ones I am NOT wearing - and - sorry, no help - there is NO label or even printed markings! The goods came in 3-packs that had all that, but are long-gone.

All I can recall is it was from an "outdoorsmen's" hiker/climber/camper supply house, nought to do with two-wheelers.

Outright marvelous gear vs Old Skewl woolens or cottens as far as freedom of movement so good yer not even aware it is THERE .....until yah go to take a dump!

14. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Menke View Post
    Really liked my old Fox Creek jacket- enough long miles so it had the proper fade from rain and sun and it fit just right... lol cut that off me too. They don't make the same one so have Hillside leather now- a better piece all around I think, but FCL had a better liner setup for cold weather.

Agree with you on the bags- a good match on the B&W bike- you going for decorative bags - tassles and whatnot? Seems a good look on a classic old bike like that. Mounting bags on a crotch rocket is also challenging due to the pipe, angling up like it usually does.
    No fringe and such, a bit more plain, perhaps a few conchos. I put saddlebags and a switchblade windshield on a V-Max a while back, I had to relocate all sorts of stuff. All for not as it turns out, I am not adult enough to ride it,

img_4077.jpg

16. Likes Greg Menke, DrHook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A friend of mine has a Nighthawk with a similar screen, did a bunch of fixing on it for him (rotten mountings and hardware from being uncovered too long). Its an interesting design- very adaptable. Never ridden a vmax, but they sure look nifty

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I am not adult enough to ride it,
    ROFL!

Anyone needs an example of "droll humour"? There you have it!

19. Likes DrHook, kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    ROFL!

Anyone needs an example of "droll humour"? There you have it!

I don't really care about going fast but I really do like the feel of acceleration, at about 30mph in 3rd gear you can open her up and the front wheel comes off the ground, the rear wheel starts chirping on the pavement and you feel like you are taking off in a jet plane, by the time it passes 12krpm you are doing well over 100mph and it has 2 more gears that do about the same. The damn things are just nuts with get up and go and I find it irresistable. I was going to sell it but she says she wants to ride it, she isn't goofy like me so she likely can though she doesn't ride often enough for my taste, I would rather she didn't but in the end she owns it as much as I do.

21. Likes Greg Menke, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't really care about going fast but I really do like the feel of acceleration, at about 30mph in 3rd gear you can open her up and the front wheel comes off the ground, the rear wheel starts chirping on the pavement and you feel like you are taking off in a jet plane, by the time it passes 12krpm you are doing well over 100mph and it has 2 more gears that do about the same. The damn things are just nuts with get up and go and I find it irresistable. I was going to sell it but she says she wants to ride it, she isn't goofy like me so she likely can though she doesn't ride often enough for my taste, I would rather she didn't but in the end she owns it as much as I do.
    LOL! Kept the "uber-Jeep" on jackstands for 19 years in a row to keep my greedy ass out of jail. Topped-out at a measured 131 MPH.

BFD.

What made it FUN as to waxing Beemers, Portia's, Poontang Five-oh's, Typhoons, Cyclone's and such was the ability to appear to get to a hundred ... a full day before it started! The blower GMC's were the toughest. They'd get an early lead, ALWAYS.. but .... had so much torque the brain-box cut their toes off at 112 MPH lest the S-15's wind profile overload the slush box!

23. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I finished up a small batch of oil gauges, I have to cut 3/16 " off the bourdon tubes to make the gears reach other, check out my soldering iron, an electric skillet works great.

img_1322.jpg

img_1323.jpg

img_1321.jpg

img_1318.jpg

img_1317.jpg

25. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah Mr. Max - they say there's nothing quite like it...

27. Likes kustomizer, DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back to my exhaust project, with the front section mostly done I need to make an offset bushing to go from the 2 1/2 to 1 3/4 for the tail section, I would use the old one except it is for 1 1/2 and I don't want to wreck any of the parts that come off this bike, I will save them in a box in the attic. I found a tailpipe on ebay with a fishtail on it and had the chrome stripped so I can bend it around the rear shock and brake then weld it together along with welding on a couple mounting tabs. I ordered some rear crash bars the other day and I can start this after they show up as the pipe has to go through one of them.
    img_1324.jpg

img_1325.jpg
    Last edited by kustomizer; 02-02-2021 at 07:29 PM.

29. Likes Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Ah Mr. Max - they say there's nothing quite like it...
    I used to tell people that I have never had a pickup or a motorcycle with too much power, can't say that no more.
    My V-Max is more than I need and they have a bigger more powerfull one out a few years back that will eat mine for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That exhaust is neat, always liked the fishtails though my taste runs more to the sportbikes. I love how the torque hits at 9k rpm, takes the breath away. Ridewise the R6 is just getting onto its feet at 70 so strictly speaking its more than I need but the sharp steering and good brakes/suspension are the win. Hitting the corner just right, on the gas and feeling the bike pull on the way out is magic...

32. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is why a guy needs several bikes to choose from depending on his mood, when I was young dumb and single I had several cars, 14 bikes, 3 boats, 2 freezers of food, 2 fridges of booze, cash in my pocket and money in the bank, being 19 was a kick in the ass. I met a girl, she convinced to thin the herd as I could buy a house for what I was spending on insurrance, that was in the mid 80's, she was right but I am here to tell you a guy can have a lot of toys for the cost of 1 girl. Still I wouldn't trade her for the world.

Around here there are too many critters to get in much of a hurry, this morning I had to chase a herd of 35 elk away from the mailbox so I could put some packages in

34. Likes DrHook liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The housings for my spotlights are out getting new chrome so this evening I thought I would look into the reflector and bulb socket situation. Pretty cool how they hold the socket in the reflector with a brass screw so you can take it apart and clean it. The tube in the reflector for the socket is a bit corroded and bell-mouthed so I will take them to work in the morning for some minor repair and to polish the silver on the reflectors.
    img_1327.jpg
    img_1328.jpg
    img_1329.jpg

Each cylinder has a broken fin, I am not looking forward to repairing those but I think I should.

img_1330.jpg

img_1331.jpg

36. Likes Greg Menke, DrHook liked this post