Resurrecting my 1941 Indian Four - Page 5
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kustomizer View Post
    I will be looking for you when I get closer, I still have a lot I need to do with the engine in place
    Thanks for the offer, you do a fair bit of this?
    I have probably fixed 30 or 40 heads over the years, I do a lot of different stuff, Google My shop, moonlight machine. I wish I could get the photos off my phone posted to PM. I have a mess of cool stuff I have made that I could post if I was not helpless with all this electronic stuff.

2. Likes kustomizer, Kjelle, JoeE., Greg White liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Led's everywhere, the generator will keep up better,

This! When I first started working up the R6 I did some harness current measurements- between 8 and 13 amps depending on what was on (signals, brake lights, high/low)- with the engine off- but including the dash and ECU. Changing just the signals, brake lights, markers to LED dropped it by 5 or so amps; much easier on the rectifier/regulator and generator.

4. Likes kustomizer, Kjelle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm curious, what voltage will this old Indian be using for lights? The LED lights are widely available for 12 volt systems, but what exists for 6 volt systems on say, a Honda ATC110 engine being swapped into a fine American off road bike? No hijack intended, just want to see if what you are running can be adapted to my mess

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by moonlight machine View Post
    I have probably fixed 30 or 40 heads over the years, I do a lot of different stuff, Google My shop, moonlight machine.
    LOL! C'mon. Post the diect website URI for us!

Go Ogle finds more than a few hits in Ohio ALONE, and a short ton MORE all over the rest of the USA.

Some might even be brothels?

Not that a(ny) honest machine shop does NOT have to whore itself ever' now and then to pay the bills... but still...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ponderingjunkman View Post
    I'm curious, what voltage will this old Indian be using for lights? The LED lights are widely available for 12 volt systems, but what exists for 6 volt systems on say, a Honda ATC110 engine being swapped into a fine American off road bike? No hijack intended, just want to see if what you are running can be adapted to my mess
    12V are more common, hence cheaper, but the core LED element is about a Volt and a half or even less, so they are done-up in "arrays" anyway.

Prolly least-cost is to convert the host from 6V to 12V

...OR.. run a separate add-on system for the LED lighting if "museum grade" period-correct is to be maintained on the "host"?

As mentioned, LED's are more efficient converters of power to light, so it isn't as heavy a hit as, for exmple, adding power for Old Skewl 24 V incandescent aircraft landing lights.. as were once commonly used as defensive "blinders" on armoured limousines...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had Indian Frank change my generator to 12v with a modern solid state regulator housed in an original housing though the some of led's I looked at for the spot lights say they will work from 6v to 30v, I was looking mostly on ebay. I'm not worried about a hijack, most any discussion may be helpful to me as I have a rather "broad spectrum focus".

img_1346.jpg

I am not sure why the pics make it look all scratched up as it is smooth and shiny, must be reflections from the ceiling, it really is shiny as a mirror, he does very nice work. I need to get my magneto off to get redone before Marks magneto quits like the rest of us old guys are starting to do.

img_1347.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just got done adding some 4" diameter sylvania LED driving lights to a bike. Noticed when testing them they seem to be working well on 6V - and the base of the housing says 6 - 36 volts. I suspect there is active regulation in there.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Life.../dp/B083VQT6S2

They don't give the voltage rating, or show the label on the base of the housing in this link. They draw about one amp each, above 6 volts.

10. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Just got done adding some 4" diameter sylvania LED driving lights to a bike. Noticed when testing them they seem to be working well on 6V - and the base of the housing says 6 - 36 volts. I suspect there is active regulation in there.

https://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-Life.../dp/B083VQT6S2

They don't give the voltage rating, or show the label on the base of the housing in this link. They draw about one amp each, above 6 volts.
    How do you like them in use, I have been looking for more light for my Goldwing and Rune both, a headlight doesn't seem to reach out far enough anymore.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Led's everywhere, the generator will keep up better,
    Too true! Until I cobbled-in the bigger alternator and Delco solid-state adjustable regulator to keep the oversized Gould battery up (minor hood bulge for that one), the French halogen-incandescent "flammenwerfers" would be draining the Gould at anything under 75 MPH! Same-again the '79 Dodge D1500 and the '68 Fury 440 ++ SW.

Fortunately, 4-wheelers have ROOM for dual or oversized batteries, oversized alternators, and more drive belting.

2-wheelers? Not so "wealthy".

... and yet?

Count the lamps!

A 2-Wheeler usually has FAR MORE lighting than a passenger car... closer to a TRUCK, and not a small one.. just to help reduce the risk some careless fool pretends he "didn't see" the bike he just ran off the road or run right over!

"Comes with the territory". Fools ALWAYS in surplus on the road?

Short yerself on lights. Short yerself on LIFE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How do you like them in use, I have been looking for more light for my Goldwing and Rune both, a headlight doesn't seem to reach out far enough anymore.
    Got done wiring them up, then about two feet of snow came down.... Last time I tried driving that in the snow I fell over. So when the ice goes away, I'll let you know.

Main headlamps on all the bikes are Bosch 7" reflectors with 100/55 watt H4 lamps. The LED driving lamps are going to be for highway use - though that bike has a 400 watt charging system.

14. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bungee a snow board on the front, chain up the back and give 'er hell!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Got done wiring them up, then about two feet of snow came down.... Last time I tried driving that in the snow I fell over. So when the ice goes away, I'll let you know.

Main headlamps on all the bikes are Bosch 7" reflectors with 100/55 watt H4 lamps. The LED driving lamps are going to be for highway use - though that bike has a 400 watt charging system.
    ROFL! 1/3 to 2/3'rds or so of that has served tens of millions of 4-wheelers!

Meanwhile.. the ONLY ride of several I had any serious miles on before I decided the fore and aft bumpers on 4-wheeler worked better than my nose or arse .. was a "Bridgestone 90". Poverty thing.

Most of us "get it".. the poverty if not the bike.. but didn't LIKE it much. The poverty, not the bike.

Bike was actually not all that bad for what it was, but..

The loud guffaw jest now was the idea of trying to pull 400 W off the valiant little critter unless replicated outta 140-odd lbs Avoir of Uranium and fed to a nuclear reactor as fission material!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The one with the 400 watt system: fuel injected flat lay-down 3 cylinder K75 bmw.

The older vintage bikes were originally 6V, 60 watt systems - with mag ignition though - so the bike would run with a flat (or no) battery at all. I found 6V H4 halogen lamps and used those until I retrofitted 180W 12 alternators to them.

The 6 volt systems had teeny little excited field dc generators, with the quaintest mechanical regulators.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ferry_4.jpg  

18. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies! I'd love an upgrade to 12 volts but that would necessitate a change of cases, and more weight. I also think the crude 3 wheeler lighting coil is producing AC current. So I'm also looking into rechargeable bicycle lights. They may not be DOT approved, but for my fine American off road bike, they may be a decent alternative

Older bikes and keeping them going with modern bits that make them safer and more fun, and most importantly, on the road being enjoyed- is really cool!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all need little projects to aggrivate ourselves, I have enough started at any one time to keep my wife's next 3 husbande busy, it's likely the first will get to do nothing but haul off junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I found the 194 base led bulbs (flat base w/ 2 wires wrapped around the end, automotive dome lights etc) wanted 8v to start getting bright.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Menke View Post
    I found the 194 base led bulbs (flat base w/ 2 wires wrapped around the end, automotive dome lights etc) wanted 8v to start getting bright.
    These sylvanial LED pods are rated to run at six.

23. Likes Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My rear crash bars showed up this morning while I was out pushing snow, I should be able to move on with my exhaust project. We are heading out to the overseas container where I think my oxy acetylene set is.

img_1353.jpg

img_1354.jpg

25. Likes Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We all need little projects to aggrivate ourselves, I have enough started at any one time to keep my wife's next 3 husbands busy, it's likely the first will get to do nothing but haul off junk.
    What makes you think they would be sequential?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    What makes you think they would be sequential?
    She would make them that way, a very strong willed girl she is.