Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent the first 3 hours pushing snow around, it is building up about an inch an hour on the 6 inches from last night, by the time I finish lunch and warm up it will be time to hitch up a trailer and head to town to pick up a load of aluminum, it will be nice to see this polar blast thing go away. The day is shot to hell, Im tired and didn't get anything done, at leasr it started out above zero today, it had been rather coolish in the mornings for a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The mention of the foot shift on the Indian 841 reminded me of a long ago tale. I belonged to a group in Chicago that rode motorcycles. we weren't really a club, we just rode together now and then.

One of the fellows rode a Harley Model XA, which as mentioned earlier was the experimental Harley military model. It was the counterpart to the Indian 841.

Well, it too had a foot shift. The fellow told us that he had ridden it around Chicago for something like three years before he accidentally discovered that it had a fourth gear! He'd assumed that it had only three gears so he never tried for another gear.

Sadly, since there were only about 1.000 each of the 841's and XA's built, they are now among the rarest of the rare of all bikes. I've only ever seen about two of each in my life.

Another issue was that the spring fork on the XA was some 2" longer than a standard springer and it also would fit the other Harley models. That meant that a lot of XA's got parted out by the so-called chopper crowd.

Sad but true.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    What is unimaginable about it?
    Bill
    I've only ever *seen* two of those bikes in the flesh - chances of me actually *driving* one, even just around the block, are about 0.000001 percent.

Weather here? Winter, in a word. There was a *lot* of black ice on the walk back from the local coffee house this morning. The last time I tried riding in conditions like this I sorta fell over. So I'm waiting till it improves a bit....

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yeah ,if there was lots of snow and ice here ,Id probably have to put a shirt on .....on the subject of Indian 841s ,there are actually a couple around locally ,imported at great cost ,no doubt......Ive always wondered about old guys with too much money paying crazy prices for bikes and cars they will get no use out of .....anyhoo,now I are one!....I was talking to my brother just yesterday ,and he was saying his knucklehead is getting too heavy for him to ride safely......My opinion has always been ,you should be able to pick up the bike if it falls over,and be able to push it 50 yards if it stops in the middle of the road.

5. Likes fusker liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Taa DAAA! Managed to get the bike out for a spin as 1) the rain washed the salt off the roads, 2) the rain quit, and 3) has not yet gone below freezing. This series of events probably won't repeat for several more months.

Another bonus, those LED floods I put on this bike are truly amazing. Strong recommend.

7. Likes kustomizer, Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jim rozen View Post
    Taa DAAA! Managed to get the bike out for a spin as 1) the rain washed the salt off the roads, 2) the rain quit, and 3) has not yet gone below freezing. This series of events probably won't repeat for several more months.

Another bonus, those LED floods I put on this bike are truly amazing. Strong recommend.
    You do realize you are showing all the signs of have been suffering from PMS?
    It is a horrible thing "Parked Motorcycle Syndrome"

Glad to hear about the lights, I think I have a couple of bikes that will be getting some after the snow goes away, I have spent 9 hours pushing it around between yesterday and today.

Snow and children should only be allowed on TV, you can change the channel when they get to bothering you

9. Likes Greg Menke, DrHook liked this post
    Upstate NY -In the Flats next to the corn fields
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very cool project. I'd imagine the inline 4 has a different feel than a cross mounted or obviously a V twin.

11. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I always thought they sounded more like a 9N tractor than a motorbike.....I owned a 1924 Henderson ,and had a running ACE ,which was a stripped paddock bike confiscated from some kids scaring horses with it......No more US bikes came out here after 1934 when Empire preference exise came in......next big lot was in 1942,when all the war stuff arrived.Indian Chief outfits,Harley UA outfits ,thousands of WD Indians and WLA Harleys.....I recall an Indian 4 owned by an American black ,who was reputedly a deserter from the CBs ,he used to tow cars with it.This would be mid 1950s.

13. Likes kustomizer liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pics or it didn't happen... at least I got the shop door open and idled the bike a bit. how many more weeks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tried pics but the new lights were just too bright and washed out the photos!

Parked Motorbike Syndrome. I may use that in the future....

16. Likes kustomizer, Greg Menke liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My cow showed up today on the UPS truck from out in the middle of Montana.
    img_1495.jpg
    I am hoping to make the first of my wet molds this weekend and see if this stuff forms like I remember from 4-H ( just a few years back ).

18. Likes pan60 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made my molds today and got one screwed together with some leather in between though I may need to enlarge the hole in the ring a bit as I had one hellova time getting it together.
    img_1501.jpg
    img_1502.jpg
    img_1504.jpg
    img_1515.jpg
    img_1517.jpg

20. Likes Jim Christie, 9100 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used melamine, particle board and to keep the water away I shoved them in our skinpak machine for a layer of plastic formed over them. Wet down a chunk of leather and screwed it all together, we will see how it looks after it is dry, I am afraid I may have scratched it some as the ring was awful tight.
    img_1518.jpg
    img_1520.jpg
    img_1523-1-.jpg
    img_1524.jpg
    img_1525.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

20 screws to hold the leather over by the mold and 41 to pull the ring down.
    img_1526.jpg
    img_1527-1-.jpg
    img_1527-1-.jpg
    img_1528.jpg

23. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've only ever *seen* two of those bikes in the flesh
    No excuse where YOU are.

Trick "back in the day" was to go to the races at Watkins Glen, pay extra for a 'paddock pass". I had no interest in what was going on on the TRACK, At all.

I wuz cruising the carparks and the paddock, eyeballing and working a 35 mm camera for dear life at all the weird and wonderfuls the fans, krews, and other interested folk had rode hundreds of miles to be at the race atop!

Hendersons, Ariels... you name, soembody rode-in on it. Bikes that were NEVER 'common", all somebody's beloved ride.

On the drive coming in, a Harley & sidecar ahead of the car. Woman on the handlebars clearly fifty if she was a day. 20-30 something adult daughter on the pillion. Oldest kid attached to momma like a leech. Two younger grandkids in the sidecar. Three generations on one hog?

"Local" to New York's finger lakes?

Harley rider might call it "local".

Georgia license plate. No, not the one over by Russia. That's Paris-Dakar wheels, a trek like that. Mate of mine in HKG had one. Parked it went and grabbed a bite, come out, last he saw of it was hangin on the hook of a snatch & grab wrecker truck haulin' ass for masking traffic!

Hong Kong police took the theft report, told him it was bound to already be across the border into PRC, and why was it THEIR job to repair stupid?

Ethnically, most are Chinese. Culturally? They could give LESSONS to the London Met or NYPD, same afternoon!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post

Harley rider might call it "local".

At the Fort Mott meet in the spring, someone noticed that Bruce Lindsey's Knucklehead showed 7xxx miles on the clock and asked if that was since restoration. Bruce said "No, since I repaired the speedometer last winter." To do that in the Cleveland area takes a real rider.

At local sports car races, I would volunteer for tech inspecting. All the work was before the race started, you got to peek under the hoods (bonnets to you benighted limys, over there hoods are something that stays folded in any but the most inclement weather) and you saved the price of a paddock pass.

Even now, the smell of burning rubber evokes a library of memories. I sure am glad I got to live it.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by 9100 View Post
    At local sports car races, I would volunteer for tech inspecting. All the work was before the race started,
    That mate of mine in Twickenham with the Lancia Delta Integrale as a Daily Driver was a Track Steward, couple of the UK circuits.

Volunteer Military Vets with "more than JUST basic first aid training" were always MOST welcome.. 'coz we knew how to handle a lot more than just our fire-extinguisher.

Walking the track, line-abreast to check for debris was only a chore because you had to take it seriously, eyes on the tarmac. Only!

And then? Being positioned right AT the rail with yer kit at assigned points around the circuit?

"Luck of the draw" as to WHERE, but still.. THAT was worth the spend of a whole day!

Oy! The memries!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thermite View Post
    Trick "back in the day" was to go to the races at Watkins Glen, pay extra for a 'paddock pass". ...
    Only time I was at watkins glen, I was taking the Reg Pridmore CLASS session. That's a long track. It was a hot day,
    and even in the B group I was wore out before they called it an official day. One notable event was pridmore
    called us all together early on and reaming us a collective new asshole because two guys in the A group crashed out
    in the first ten minutes.

The only other notable event was I almost ran over pridmore, doing the 'lock the rear wheel in the box' exercise.
    BMW R75/6 (which I might add was the oldest bike on the track that day) smartly did just that, locked the rear and it
    side-stepped right into him. "Usually those old drums don't work that well."

I had just turned the glaze off them before going.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

BMW R75/6 (which I might add was the oldest bike on the track that day) smartly did just that, locked the rear and it side-stepped right into him. "Usually those old drums don't work that well."

I had just turned the glaze off them before going.
    LOL! The CFII that I liked a lot as a friend, but had to "fire" day-one because he was too polite - which was going to get the both of us kilt... rode an R51-US with the WEIRD front suspension. Said it was the most comfortable bike around for the roads he had to deal with.

Nate was a crackerjack pilot. Took his glider ticket first. CFII, Eventually rotary wing, VA State Police. Early-on he's upgrading to ASEL, his CFII called an engine-out emergency (simulated) practically onto Glasscock. Like "Painted Post", but with better drainage, less muddy.

Nate is about to touch down when the CFII panics: "I've got the aircraft" and frantically powers back into the air, nick of time.

"Private strip! Owner doesn't mind if we practice, but we are not supposed to actually touch down! So much traffic would ruin the grass! What were you thinking?"

"Should have said so."

"I'm a GLIDER pilot."

"We don't GET to do go arounds!"

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well, when I made the ring for my mold I made it a bit too tight a fit, common for me. I also planned for 1 type of screw which didn't have enough pull so I went to a larger one that had to screw through my aluminum ring but they ran right through so I thought what the hell, it works. When I tried to unscrew them 8 broke on the way out, half in the wood, half in the aluminum. I think they worked like a form tap on the way in making the hole dia smaller and the ones that didn't pick up the same lead on the way out broke. I busted them again with a chisel to extrapolate my leather part. Ruff cut the profile with a box knife then made a special knife for the final cut.
    img_1537.jpg
    img_1538.jpg
    img_1539.jpg
    img_1541.jpg
    img_1543.jpg