What's new
What's new

Hendey 15308 is alive !

elieberman

Plastic
After not turning since the late 1980's my Hendey (1914 12x4 tie bar) is working again. I still need to make a new lead screw nut for the cross slide and adjust the gibs correctly but is making chips.

Before

hendey 15308.jpg

After

IMG_3837 (1).jpg

Thanks for the help both on my previous post and all the other Hendey posts I have read. This community is great.

I still have one issue I want to ask about.

The forward, neutral, reverse lever is working but it is very easy to go from forward directly to reverse and from reverse to forward. Neutral does not have a positive indent for the position. Is this controlled by the spring at the end of the auto stop rod ? I also notice that when using the 1/2 nuts it takes a lot more force to change directions which forces me to miss neutral. Thoughts ?

I am thinking of getting a modern toolpost. Based on the size I can get a BXA or AXA. Which would you recommend ? I know bigger is better but I was thinking that AXA would force me not to use large tools or make large cuts. The old girl is a bit low on power. Advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

After not turning since the late 1980's my Hendey (1914 12x4 tie bar) is working again. I still need to make a new lead screw nut for the cross slide and adjust the gibs correctly but is making chips.

Before

View attachment 269798

After

View attachment 269797

Thanks for the help both on my previous post and all the other Hendey posts I have read. This community is great.

I still have one issue I want to ask about.

The forward, neutral, reverse lever is working but it is very easy to go from forward directly to reverse and from reverse to forward. Neutral does not have a positive indent for the position. Is this controlled by the spring at the end of the auto stop rod ? I also notice that when using the 1/2 nuts it takes a lot more force to change directions which forces me to miss neutral. Thoughts ?

I am thinking of getting a modern toolpost. Based on the size I can get a BXA or AXA. Which would you recommend ? I know bigger is better but I was thinking that AXA would force me not to use large tools or make large cuts. The old girl is a bit low on power. Advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Great job on the restoration!

I have a 14" that is a little older. I use a BXA and find the bigger tools easier to grind and easier to work with.

I have the same issue with forward/reverse and missing neutral. It has gotten better as I've used the lathe. When either the half-nuts or the feed is engaged it is worse... like you mentioned. I find that using the stops to automatically take it out of forward/reverse works perfectly. This was something that I was going to fix but, like I said, it got better with time and isn't that much of an issue.

Back