Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JST View Post
    I've no idea what the list is of acceptable formats in Windoze........ I know jpg are obviously OK, IIRC gif and tiff it takes, also.

Thanks, but no need to go to any great effort, after all I have the prototype here, and can take a cast from it, plus the Reed dimensions seem to be different from all the other info so far.

Maybe if F E Reed made an 8" machine, they might have used a center as small as 2" long. The smallest Reed in any list so far was a 10", using a taper 3"+ long.
    Listed in the source I have for 12" lathes, but probably the same one you refer to:

9/16" at small end, 3 5/8" long, rate of taper as per JARNO.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The total length of the Rivett taper is 2", which lets out the smallest Reed taper I have seen....

Since it is essentially same as jarno, it is makeable.....

Just funny that you cannot now make a true, perfect Rivett taper from the the *actual* drawing stamped by the Rivett engineering dept........

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretty sure that right above where it says "To gage" the drawing shows the included angle of the taper as 2 degress and 55 minutes. Messing around with some on line trig calculators shows the approximate dimensions given for the taper as coming pretty close to that angle.

4. Likes Giglio_A liked this post