What's new
What's new

Rivett608's TED talk and other miniature stuff

rivett608

Diamond
Hello All

I have not been posting much lately for two reasons, one I have been super busy and two I'm working on a project that is the most complex piece I have ever made and don't want to share it until it is finished. When I get time I'll get back to posting some more antique tools too, I have not added much to my collection but what I have is really good. Here is the other thing I have been doing, speaking at conferences. I will doing a TED Talk in August TEDxKC here in Kansas City. This came about because I was asked to speak at something called the E.G. Conference which I must say was the coolest week of my life. Imagine spending a week hanging out with the other people doing talks plus another thousand that all have done amazing things. BTW, tickets to this are $ 4,000 each. Anyway here is my talk online.

Bill Robertson, Tool Collector & Model Maker (EG11) | EG Conference

In a mere 18 minutes it will cover some of the 40 years I have been playing in my shop. Please forward it to your friends if you think they would like it. While I may look relaxed I was trying not to wet my pants the whole time.

Also for those near Kansas City, I'm involved in putting together a totally new type of Miniature event, It is a Show and Sale of museum quality miniatures held inside a museum. About 68 of most interesting artists working in the field will be there from all over the world. This is Sept. 15 -17th and for PM members that want to come I will have an open house at my shop that Sunday evening. And the show is free to the public (with standard $5 museum addmision)For details see..

Miniature Masterworks - The National Museum of Toys and Miniatures

As always Thanks for all the support and encouragement you PM members have given me over the years.

I sure enjoyed the last get together you hosted, I think it was 2008 or 2009.
I met some good folks and really enjoyed meeting rivett608, Bill.
Might try to make it again.

I have not been posting much lately for two reasons, one I have been super busy and two I'm working on a project that is the most complex piece I have ever made and don't want to share it until it is finished.

I thought your TED talk went well and I enjoyed it. It may be asking too much and I appreciate the effort it takes, but anything you can post on the process and techniques you use would be very interesting. As much as I enjoy looking at the finished work I think your audience here would be even more captivated by in process pictures and videos.

Every so often, one comes upon a person with skills and an eye for line and art that makes one feel that there is not much point in continuing to try, as one could never possibly accomplish what has been done.

I would say, with no reservations, that you are one such person.

:)

Amazing work and art! Thank you for sharing!

And, no, I won't quit trying, either. :)

Cheers
Trev

Thank you all for your nice comments. They mean a lot.

As I said near the end of the talk, never stop improving, that every piece has to be better than those before it. I doesn't matter what level you are at, just keep getting better. A never stop trying.

Btw, I make plenty of junk and scrap too. The good news I don't waste a lot of material doing it.

mechanician
English Edit

Wikipedia has an article on:
mechanician
Wikipedia
Noun Edit
mechanician (plural mechanicians)

(dated) One skilled in the theory or construction of machines.
To build such a device will require an expert mechanician.
a1891, Constance Garnett (translator), Leo Tolstoy (author), Anna Karenin, in The Harvard Classics Shelf of Fiction, P.F. Collier & son (1917), page 214,
"The mechanician came when I was away; I haven't seen him yet," he said, not looking at her.
The Yankees, the first mechanicians in the world, are engineers-- just as the Italians are musicians and the Germans metaphysicians-- by right of birth. -- from From The Earth To The Moon by Jules Verne.
The Cotton-Gin is a machine to separate the seeds from cotton, invented by that celebrated mechanician, E. Whitney. -- from the 1828 Webster's Dictionary.
(dated) One skilled in building, using, or repairing machines, or who makes machines or tools.
Shortly after being removed to the hospital Wright recovered consciousness and sent for Taylor, his mechanician. -- "Fatal fall of Wright airship", New York Times September 18th 1908
(dated) One skilled in mechanics.
(dated) A machinist.
(dated) A scientifically trained practitioner.
(dated) A mechanic.

For some reason the video will not play.
Tom
edit It won't run in Firefox, but does in Explorer.
Tom

Double edit:- How do you make the what looks like castings?

It's hard to know what say after watching the film. Your work is truly amazing, to have the hand eye co-ordination, the determination, the vision, is a gift. I'm glad you made the most of it.

Your lecturing style is excellent also, very clear and concise.

I was pretty pleased with myself regarding my work over the last 50 years. Your efforts have brought me back down to earth.

Regards Tyrone.

I'm glad you made the video and posted about it here. I had no idea anyone like you existed and thought miniature models were no more detailed than necessary for anything in line of sight.
Actually having details beyond what can be seen and without considerations for making it easier changes everything.
And doing it in this anti-Belle Epoque era of cheap and easy while being calm is awesome too.

For some reason the video will not play.
Tom
edit It won't run in Firefox, but does in Explorer.
Tom
This is common to Firefox, video issues. Look at your 'add-ons' menu especially submenu 'plugins' and the others too for obvious problems. Update everything including flash and java. If that doesn't do it, settle in for a lot of googling where you'll find many others like yourself and maybe or maybe not a solution.

Back