What's new
What's new

Rockford 24" Hy-Draulic Markings

Fal Grunt

Titanium
A few years ago I hauled home a Rockford 24" for a friend. He is off work with the Corona virus and is in the process of tearing it down and getting it running. We are both curious if anyone can add any thoughts to a marking he found on the Ram. It is painted, with a military like stencil : DPC 70492

He has not been able to find any War Finish tags, or other government property tags, and neither of us have been able to come up with any other ideas. We got the shaper from the original owner.

Just curious if anyone had any ideas? The shaper came out of an automotive mold shop in Cleveland. It was a treat, they had part samples hanging on the walls from as far back as the 30's. It was a true trip back in time. The shop was closed, and from appearances abandoned, pre CNC. The newest technology in the shop were two Cinci Hydro-tels.

Thanks for that Richard, I passed it along to my friend. He has the machine nearly torn down now, I think he would be happy for any information he could get, assuming the cost is reasonable.

It is a monster of a machine and we are looking forward to getting it up and running. I have a few machine parts that I would like to clean up prior to scraping that he should be able to dress.

Thanks again

As John notes DPC is Defense Plant Corporation which means the asset was once part of the government funded DPC program. DFC was federally funded and owned by parent Reconstruction Finance Corp. RFC originated under Roosevelt's New Deal plan. With war coming RFC was repurposed and had the nearly unlimited funding of the Federal Reserve. By the close of the program they had spent over 9 Billion dollars (yes that's 1940s dollars) purchasing land, building factories and then purchasing equipment them for commercial companies to operate under contract. The most expensive project was "Dodge-Chicago" which produced the radial engines for the B29. Actually the entire B29 project was the most expensive project of the war exceeding the cost of the atomic bomb itself. DPC did thousands of projects so unless Bourn & Koch still have the production records you probably won't be able to find any details short of hiring a researcher to dig in the National Archives.

Back