What's new
What's new

Rockford shaper owner question

Mike Hill

Cast Iron
I purchased a 20 inch Rockford shaper this summer and I was wondering if it is normal for the ram to not start right away after you throw the lever, mine seems to take about a minute for it to get moving then after that it seems to travel fine but I believe it’s not putting the power to the tool that it should, stuck relief? The machine has probably sat all its life, it has a U.S. strategic reserve tag on it and a college tag on it, and I bought it from the same spot it sat unpowered the last 20 years.

Before doing any thing look at this if you haven't already. Have you taken the side plate off so you can look to see if you have any major oil leaks. On mine the rod seal on the cylinder was leaking and depending how old it is. It may have a gasket instead of an oring like mine had which was blown out on the end cap. There is an operation parts manual on line that I will look for and post.
https://www.airgraver.com/shaper/rockford/rockford shaper16764.pdf

Thanks for the responses guys, after I got it this summer I powered it up and I did have the side cover off at the time it didn’t seam to have any excessive leaks.
Thanks Mike

The reversing valve on those can wear and they can be hard on the foot valve for the pump, new they lacked a suction filter for the pump. Probably not a bad idea to put a return line filter on the discharge line back to the settling well.

Reversing valve repair is typically a hand full of buna quad rings

Mike

It will take you 2 minutes to find out. Pull the cover on the side opposite the controls and look with the machine running. Both the ram and the reversing valve are in plain view.

If the pump takes more than a second or two to pick up prime (and you can hear that as the relief valve opens) then you either have a bad foot valve or vane pump. Pump, probably a vickers is an easy enough rebuild, usually.

Thanks for the info, had the cover off in the past no visible leaks, I will focus on the pump because it definetly has a delay on start and lack of power in the cut, thanks again

I was running the shaper today and all of a sudden it’s tone changed dramatically, it got a lot louder and now it starts right up when you turn it on, so with that being said do you guys find these shapers to be fairly loud hydraulic noise wise to the point of annoying? I felt the pump and it doesn’t seem to be getting hot and no internal leaks other than the way return oil.

Something that old may have a dried out rotten pump shaft seal that will pull air into the system and will make a lot of noise.Squirt some oil on the pump shaft near the seal if you can and if the noise changes its bad. If the foot valve is bad then oil will drain back and when it starts it will not move until all the air is flushed out.Seals are designed to seal from the pressure side so they can seal with pressure and not leak but not seal to good from atmospheric pressure if the foot valve is not stopping drain back which will cause the system to have a lower than atmospheric pressure internally after it sits for awhile.

Regarding the hydraulic noise while operating; yes, mine seems loud to the point of annoying to me. I asked here a few years ago and was told by several owners that the hydraulic whine is normal. Mine is a late 1970s model with very little use from a USAF maint facility.

Back