What's new
What's new

Round Ram Mill

Cdugiedugan

Plastic
So recently I acquired a mill from an old aeromotive supply company in mu home town. I was able to get it for a great deal but after getting it back to my shop and looking it over in more detail, I noticed that the body of the machine has no casting or identification marks. The machine has a Bridgeport J head mounted on an unknown body.

The body looks somewhat similar to the old round ram Bridgeport but its obviously different. It does have a serial number on the top of the knee (53026B)

I was wondering if any one has seen a body like this before. I've done extensive searching on google trying to find a picture or something close to this but it always points back to a round ram Bridgeport.

mill 1.jpgMill 2.jpgMill 3.jpgMill 4.jpg

The way the turret attaches to the main body is not the way BP did it. BP's had 4 pockets with nuts retaining the turret. This thing has 2 horizontal nuts to the rear to lock the swiveling of the turret.

The way the turret attaches to the main body is not the way BP did it. BP's had 4 pockets with nuts retaining the turret. This thing has 2 horizontal nuts to the rear to lock the swiveling of the turret.

It looks Cincinnati to me. The earlier series before the Toolmaster, could have a different turret, ram and head. They used a "B" preceding the number. So if it is a Cincinnati, the 1st two numbers tell the date. The numbers 53026 mean it was made in 1953 or 1926. I'm going with 1953 because the Bridgeport didn't have a dovetailed ram until mid 1956. They made the "J" heads before that. And dang, my old "J" head does seem to date earlier than 1956.

Looks like the Bridgeport M head mill that I had. It.may have had the head changed

Yeah this has a J head on it but I have been unsuccessful with finding anything out about the body. Its strange. The J head mounts up without an adapter from the looks of it, the y axis lead screw is offset to the right of the machine (not centered) and the knee handle shaft is 7/8" versus 5/8" like the typical Bridgeport

It looks Cincinnati to me. The earlier series before the Toolmaster, could have a different turret, ram and head. They used a "B" preceding the number. So if it is a Cincinnati, the 1st two numbers tell the date. The numbers 53026 mean it was made in 1953 or 1926. I'm going with 1953 because the Bridgeport didn't have a dovetailed ram until mid 1956. They made the "J" heads before that. And dang, my old "J" head does seem to date earlier than 1956.

I have a call into one of my contacts at Milacron (the people that absorbed Cincinnati milling machines), now its just a waiting game to see what they say

I also wondered if it might be a British or European Mill that started out with a different head and perhaps they made a deal with Bridgeport to buy the heads or someone adapted it later on .
I tried a couple of searches and also found this one with a round ram so there may be others.
Sunderland Gear Planers
British Standard Whitworth threads somewhere on the machine might be a clue as would metric threads and dimensions on parts other than the head.
Jim

The clean, functional design of the column says Italian or French to me. Not Rambaudi, theirs were heavier. I'd say Italian.

Back