Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New Hampshire
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There were a few roundhouses around here, pictured below is the sad remains of one in West Lebanon NH. I would guess former Boston & Maine yard. Now home to a propane company that fills the parking lot area you see.

Across the river is White river Junction VT there was a round house complete with derelict turntable there too until recently. It is Pete's Tire, a commercial tire dealer and it burned down. During the clean up they filled in the turntable pit and rebuilt on the site. Pets's rebuilt and what is interesting the new steel building that took the place of the old wooden roundhouse is build on the original footprint of the roundhouse foundation and is still essentially a roundhouse. Perhaps an homage to the historical significance of White River Junction.

There is still quite an active rail yard in WRJ and one can google earth White River Junction VT and see where several lines all came together there. The line from Concord NH to West leb is no longer in service and much of it is rail trail. The Maine line from Montreal is still in use, Amtrack and freight us it all the time.

Also the line that runs up the Connecticut River from WRJ is still used, albeit I do not know how much and for what other than excursion. It must make some revenue, they went through the expense and rebuilt the bridge across the White River when a hurricane scoured a pier and the bridge was damaged several years back. I think they call it Central VT Railway now, but I could be mistaken.

There are a lot of old railway turntables around here if one cares to look actually

leb-roundhouse.jpg

petes-tire.jpg

2. Likes Jim Christie, 3512B, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pictures of "my" roundhouse.

Category:Remisen (Viborg) - Wikimedia Commons

jytte4_remisen_17474.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Henry Ford just sent me an email with links to some inside info and pictures of their rail operations and roundhouse.

Keeping the Roundhouse Running - Blog - The Henry Ford

YouTube

YouTube

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The B&O railroad museum does have an operating turntable and it is enclosed by the roundhouse.
    YouTube

6. Likes Jim Christie liked this post