What's new
What's new

For Sale: Brown & Sharpe No.1 Vertical head attachment.

Custommachining

Cast Iron
This vertical head attachment came off of a 1915 #2 Brown & Sharpe Universal milling machine. The spindle is free. I also have the driver for it which is a Brown & Sharpe #10 taper. Please see photos. I will also be parting out the #2 milling machine. Pictures of that are in another post. $200 or best offer.

Attachments

• 20200527_124508.jpg
    20200527_124508.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 20200527_131033.jpg
    20200527_131033.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 194
  • 20200527_124508.jpg
    20200527_124508.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 214
  • 20200527_124519.jpg
    20200527_124519.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 217
This vertical head attachment came off of a 1915 #2 Brown & Sharpe Universal milling machine. The spindle is free. I also have the driver for it which is a Brown & Sharpe #10 taper. Please see photos. I will also be parting out the #2 milling machine. Pictures of that are in another post. $200 or best offer.

May you measure c/c distance between the spindle and OA. I expect the bore to be larger than 3 1/2". There was an eccentric bushing to align it.

I too would like to know the c/c distance. If it fits my Hendey I'd love to buy it. Would be nice to know the OA diameter as well.

I too would like to know the c/c distance. If it fits my Hendey I'd love to buy it. Would be nice to know the OA diameter as well.

The Hendey Nortons were similar to the Brown & Sharpes. Can't say anything was the same except the #10 B&S taper. We do appreciate milling machines which withstood two world wars and other wars. Somehow, they didn't meet the scrap drives. Picture #3 shows the vertical head. It has another entrance of the drive arbor. That is why the OA fixture is duplex.

Spiral bevel was the future and these built them.[/QUOTE
Within this one topic are points. The Hendey Norton 1 1/2 universal of near 1910 has the same solid OA of 3 1/2". The last #2 Brown & Sharpe, universal single OA was 3 1/2".
Correct me if wrong. The spindle nose went so many changes but no. It all happened rapid. One decade. I don't know the words to describe what happened and That was very long ago.
There must be a heaven.
Freaking thugs infesting. It is sick and it is sad and to know...Striking young men shot dead.
and it comes to this.

I'm saying that and it is difficult. So many wars .. what, I'm insane to comprehend it was There. Best and brightest .. one round. Very and more than very.

OTOH, these milling machines and how.
They work like 100 years ago. Dang think about that.
It depends upon the miter gears' ratio. There is a mechanical disadvantage to speed end mills that way but it Had to happen. We could've talked with the survivors 30 years ago. Didn't.
Regrets.. the neatest people and within a micron, meet them. Darn I wanted to get things together before that.

Hendey Norton milling machines.. The gear box , feed speed , striking cool how it worked. 100 years ago style. Worked forever and t'wer a time that enormous amount of metal fixtures were placed upon the swivel table. Entire shelves of fixtures. So over now. It had been repaired, probably often, last, me.
Tremendous cone bronze bearings., Needed cleaning and proper lube but not all at once. Huge tapered bearings.
I was astounded to see the perfect surfaces of the # 10 Brown & Sharpe spindle and that isn't even the larger ones.

OTOH, these milling machines and how.
They work like 100 years ago. Dang think about that.
It depends upon the miter gears' ratio. There is a mechanical disadvantage to speed end mills that way but it Had to happen. We could've talked with the survivors 30 years ago. Didn't.
Regrets.. the neatest people and within a micron, meet them. Darn I wanted to get things together before that.

It does bear repeating , just know. Wonderful machines were driven overhead. That took the weight off a lay shaft or precious main spindle. There were serious reasons to have an overhead motor.

New people from every place. Tanked so wrecked, a milling machine that you walked past. Years like it never happened.
I went low ball $25. cars and spend so much more to fix them.
Play it but sometimes Strike to the finest mark.

New people from every place. Tanked so wrecked, a milling machine that you walked past. Years like it never happened.
I went low ball $25. cars and spend so much more to fix them.
Play it but sometimes Strike to the finest mark.
It is a question and where are we going here? Heritage and No Way are these machines coming around anymore. Please think about the larger milling machines 6K of virgin pig iron. They disappeared but came back at us. It Is a balance to where machines
still work after 100 years. I got nothing to say except ..
One fellow, Sterling Hayden had that "look". He was pissed all the time. But don't we like that fellow? Yeh Jack Elam too but it comes back to the times when these milling machines were still working and the folks who noticed, lets' say, expired.

Thanks for the measurements. My overarm is 3.5" but unfortunately the center to center distance is 8.0" I have a fair amount of B&S #7 taper tooling as well so that would have been a great fit.

Back