What's new
What's new

For sale: Putnam Lathe

Custommachining

Cast Iron
I have a 16 x 32 Putnam lathe for sale, $100.00. It comes with both 3 and 4 jaw chucks.
The overall length is 7'. Weight, approximately 2000 lbs.
I do not know year manufactured, possibly late 1890's to early 1900's.

I took ownership of this Putnam lathe this evening... the seller was very nice to work with. My guess is this machine is from the late 1800’s as it still has some old features like a rise and fall. Heavy and well made like Putnam machines... I will post some good pics for Reference when I get some free time.

Attachments

• 37CDF6D2-96F1-45F6-A88E-7F360339C92A.jpg
    37CDF6D2-96F1-45F6-A88E-7F360339C92A.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 172
What is the purpose of the "lead" screw on the back side

I took ownership of this Putnam lathe this evening... the seller was very nice to work with. My guess is this machine is from the late 1800’s as it still has some old features like a rise and fall. Heavy and well made like Putnam machines... I will post some good pics for Reference when I get
some free time.

Please help me out in my ignorance here, what is the purpose of the lead screw on the backside of the lathe?

CarlBoyd

Please help me out in my ignorance here, what is the purpose of the lead screw on the backside of the lathe?

CarlBoyd
Just their way of doing business back in the day... I’m assuming they thought it may be a bit crowded on the front? Maybe someone else would be more knowledgeable on the subject...

Just their way of doing business back in the day... I’m assuming they thought it may be a bit crowded on the front? Maybe someone else would be more knowledgeable on the subject...

I think their idea was that there was less chips and dirt on the back side of the lathe so there would be less wear on the lead screw.

Back