What's new
What's new

Samuel Ward Co. Boston...Any info?

John Madarasz

Stainless
Got a neat little box in a lot of tools I purchased a while back. The box contained a bunch of what look to be homemade jo blocks, and there was also a little engraved block in with them, with a stamp that says Samuel Ward Co. Boston.

The block measures 1.025" x .503". There's also a makers mark I don't show of a triangle, with a W over an S on one of the sides

fwiw the hinges on the box are stamped Pat. May 6-13

Googled to no avail...nothing in Cope's Green or Blue books that I can find...any info or ideas?? :confused:

cimg1293v.jpg

cimg1295.jpg

cimg1296c.jpg

Hunch: Please give us a list of the sizes of the homemade Jo-Blocks.
I want to cogitate on the assortment of sizes. I have a hunch that they might resolve to standard angles when used with either a 5" or a 10" sine bar.

From your description of them as "Jo-Blocks", I take it that they seem to be made very precisely.

The decoration on the box looks like someone was trying their hand at carving. It's reminescent of sailor's scrimshaw style. Is that a signature at the bottom of the external scene?

the blocks measure .189, .312, .500, .562, .625, .750...all within .0005 of the measurements stamped on them. Even with the dirt and age, there's still a little bit of wring left in most of them.

There also 3 unmarked blocks with tapped holes...2 are through holes and one has a blind tapped hole running the length of the block more or less

No marks or initials on the box unfortunately...it's really a nice example of beautiful antique workmanship

Thanks for the link to the google book...I'm starting to think that this is some kind of old printing block, or maybe an old wax seal of some sort? The block measures between "1.022 and "1.028" so it's not as finely ground as the other blocks...

the depth of the engraving (or etching) on the face measurers between .005 and .010" throughout...

I had shared some links with Blogger Pierre Lagace’ and noticed the name Samuel Ward Manufacturing at the bottom of the book page here
https://johnkellynightfighterpilot.files.wordpress.com/2017/09/inside-cover.jpg
From this blog post.
Preserving the Past – January 1, 1944 | A tribute to Richard "Chick" Harmer and US Navy Night Fighter Squadron VF(N)-101
Since I didn’t read the page too carefully before searching out of curiosity about what they manufactured tried a forum search to see if anything turned up and found this thread .
I don’t remember seeing it before .
Now we know at least one product Samuel Ward Made was the Daily Calendar Dairy in 1944
Regards ,
Jim
P.S. Other blogs by Pierre Lagace’

Pierre Lagace - Gravatar Profile

Back