Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Sanford SG-48 Surface Grinder

I have a small machine shop in my basement and have always been intrigued by surface grinders. This one popped up for sale on a machinist FB page, so I struck a deal with the seller and braved the blizzard like conditions here in NE Wisconsin this morning to pick it up.

I honestly doing know jack about surface grinder or much about this particular model in general, but it's compact, benchtop size is nice for my small shop.

Quite a few cars in the ditch on the way down to Milwaukee. Surprisingly I didn't have too much trouble even with my 2wd truck. It was slow going, but I made it without incident, only to get stuck in my driveway when I got home.

As you can see with the spray paint can for size reference, this is a pretty small machine.

I put some way oil in all the oilers and everything seems to rotate and move freely, so it should be a pretty straight forward job to get this cleaned up and back into service.

2. Likes DJ2, RCPDesigns liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know it’s an old thread but nice find. I just purchased a SG10 as well.
    You’re machine is the only one I have seen with the raised leadscrew that still has any of the vertical column shields left in tact. You wouldn’t happen to have a picture of the Left and right shields off for the vertical column would you?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a manual for the SG series. It doesn't have any decent illustrations or photos, but it may be of use:

Sanford Manufacturing Corp. - Publication Reprints - Instruction Manual Sanford Precision Surface Grinder | VintageMachinery.org

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

liftergrind.jpgliftergrindfixture.jpgA nice size tool. Bench top room is easier to find than a piece of floorspace for a larger grinder.
    What I like about a grinder is that such small amounts of metal can be ground off a surface, AND there is pretty much no metal 'too hard' to grind or sharpen. Just use the right wheel/material.
    I've made up a small fixture to grind flats on these camshaft roller-lifters. Without the flats, the lifter-bodies turn and break the slot/guides for the roller. With these flats, a 3/4" open end wrench can be used to stop the rotation of the lifter body while the locking nut or jamb-nut is loosens or tightened.

This job I do not think could have been done on a mill, regardless of tooling. I took one over to a local machine shop, showed the owner a sketch of what I wanted to do, He checked the hardness of the part and said 'well it has to be ground, it's too hard to cut on a mill'. I'm far too inexperienced with cutting, so I followed his suggestions for making a jig to hold the parts.

DV

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by unclemoak View Post
    I have a small machine shop in my basement and have always been intrigued by surface grinders. This one popped up for sale on a machinist FB page, so I struck a deal with the seller and braved the blizzard like conditions here in NE Wisconsin this morning to pick it up.

I honestly doing know jack about surface grinder or much about this particular model in general, but it's compact, benchtop size is nice for my small shop.

Quite a few cars in the ditch on the way down to Milwaukee. Surprisingly I didn't have too much trouble even with my 2wd truck. It was slow going, but I made it without incident, only to get stuck in my driveway when I got home.

As you can see with the spray paint can for size reference, this is a pretty small machine.

I put some way oil in all the oilers and everything seems to rotate and move freely, so it should be a pretty straight forward job to get this cleaned up and back into service.

I have one just like it. I purchased it from a local retired IBM machinist who had purchased it from a local machine shop where it wasn't really used much. I'll try to post a few pics and maybe a video. I don't really use it much, but I like looking at it, lol.
    On a side note about travelling for equipment purchases, I sold a very clean Clausing 8530 w/powerfeed to a guy from Wisconsin who drove, with a copilot, 12 hrs nonstop, in a snowstorm, to pick it up here in NY. Upon arrival, he backed into my shop to get out of the cold and snow, we disassembled the mill and loaded it into his pickup truck, and they left. He called a few days later to say they arrived home safely after driving nonstop the whole way back. Granted it was 99% Interstate, but still. He was a super nice guy and was totally stoked to be the new owner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I know where there is one of these little gems
    sitting and is available. NW Pa. Don't know much
    about it. I saw it last week, plugged in and it has
    a magnetic chuck. Same Estate has the 16" Reed Prentice
    and Monarch I posted pics of on this forum.
    spaeth