What's new
What's new

Geo. Juengst & Sons planer

Boatman53

Plastic
I'm trying to save this from going to the scraper. A neighbor is cleaning out her dads house and there is this planer in the basement. The closing is in a month. I've listed it on Craigslist with no response. It is a working machine. Here are some photos.

1e63cc0695c659cc553239ee566c5fda_zps7ba83370.jpg

014b6744e3ec58ea36babc005f42d900_zpsf35a3a6f.jpg

c2e5ee152f67f9786cf23f79e1867441_zpsdf91103a.jpg

19a311fad0b7e806904ec667a829cc6a_zps466d6b41.jpg

She would be happy with $500 for this machine. It is located in northern NJ in Madison.I will be there this weekend helping move out other tools. Send me a PM if you have any interest and I'll give you my phone number. I have other photos if needed. Thanks for looking. I have no room in my shop or it would go home with me.
Jim

I did call it a shaper in the Craigslist ad. Should I change the title here? I have no experience with these and thought the names were somewhat interchangeable.
Jim

Two small steps, across a room and one step to the garage. I will have an engine hoist there for a couple of weeks to help me remove the Logan Lathe that is going to me shop. I have photos of all the obstacles (not many) if someone need to be prepared.
Jim

You might get more interest if you posted the size.
It looks like it could be 12"? Or maybe smaller.

In a sense, the smaller the better for pricing. Like you, many who think they would like one also don't think they can spare the space and don't want to lift (rig) one. So the Aamcos and SB's of mere 8" stroke bring more $$ than a real, capable 24" machine.

At some point, the owner may be glad to have someone take it so she does not have to pay to have it removed and hauled off. But I think you could get at least $150 for it.

If not a machinist you probably don't really care, but on a planer the table moves back & forth under the cutting tool which is stationary (It increments side to side each stroke, but the back & forth cutting motion is by the table). On a shaper, a ram carries the cutting tool back & forth over the work which is stationay. There are tiny ones, but planer stroke length is measured in feet, sometimes even up to or past 40 ft. Shaper size/stroke length in measured in inches, up to about 36 though a few bigger ones were made.

Perhaps incongruously, a 36" planer is a _lot_ lighter than a 36" or even a 16" heavy shaper. But after that the weights diverge dramatically as can be imagined. :)

Planer:

smt_fakecast15.jpg

Shaper:

smt_spline3.jpg

:)

smt

Jim, that looks to be a fine little shaper.

As Stephen said, the smaller the shaper, the easier to sell, move, and get decent dollar. That rule applies to about all old machine tools too.

It has also been brought up that a shaper this size is a real machine, and can do serious work. It looks to be a 12" or thereabouts. Your machine would be a great hobby tool, not huge, but capable nonetheless.

While I can't fully make out the motor plate, it appears (judging by the amperage) that it is a single phase machine, which is much more desirable for home shop/hobbyist types (those of us with shops don't care too much either way, but not many commercial shops think they want shaper these days anyway). Also, that is a great vise that's mounted to it. If it's not impossible to move, then I'm really surprised no one is jumping on it here. You could also try the owwm.com metalworking machine classifieds forums or a home shop machinist forum... someone will be very happy to grab this.

Thanks for your input every one. I've had it advertised on OWWM for a while and nothing. I agree with you about the vise. As far as I can tell it is a single phase motor.
Jim

Lets see one lathe in Charleston green, one lathe in Hammered Charcoal, one milling machine in "lime" green. One red welding machine, one Blue welding machine, one Blue drill press. I think I'd have to look for another colour maybe "pumpkin" orange to make the shop a little more colourful.:D

Harold

I was down there today picking up some odds and ends... that shaper is pretty nice. It's sort of an unusual size. It's a lot bigger than the 7" benchtop shapers, but not as massive as the giants that you typically see. It sure looks to be in pretty good shape. I didn't run it for fear of 'needing' to take it home and I just don't have the space for it. Sure hope someone can rescue it. It's definitely far to nice to end up scrapped.

Funny how location affects everything. At that price I doubt it would last a weekend on Craigslist down here.

That could just be because I'd snatch it up :) .

I agree location can affect a sale. But I thought central NJ would be accessible to a pretty wide audience. Any way it is still available at least for a couple more weeks. At this point i think your transportation would be your only cost. If anyone is interested let me know here or a PM. I'm not helping sell any other things, but I will be around on some weekends to help if needed.
Jim

there's a thread on another shaper of this pattern here. I'm sure that person would be very happy to see this one. I'll go find the thread, they thought they had the last known example in the USA

Back