What's new
What's new

Scully Jones #3 quick change in a HBM?

Garwood

Diamond
I have a SJ quick change setup with a bunch of holders for my little radial drill. I ran across a second SJ toolholder in my junk so I thought I'd pick up a 50 taper 4MT adapter to run it in my HBM just for spot drills, drills, taps, chamfers, etc.

Then it occurred to me that the SJ quick change collar is only held down by gravity in a radial drill.

Is horizontal use a bad idea?

Anyone add a spring to the collar and use it this way?Scully Jones.jpg

Then it occurred to me that the SJ quick change collar is only held down by gravity in a radial drill.

Is horizontal use a bad idea?

Anyone add a spring to the collar and use it this way?

Don't know. Last used one (8-foot ATW radial) January of 1965 and have never seen the guts.

That said, this sort of goods often has bearing-balls as the "Magic".

Would.. spring-loading only the release collar assure the BALLS dropped under gravity (if that IS even how it works?)

Might stand it fully nose-vertical in a vise and try it by hand?

That should tell you in a mattr of seconds whether is needs to be nose-down to lock. As I think it does!

"Try it"

Last edited:
It's dirt simple. Just like a quick release air chuck only the balls fit into a short slot so it has some forward-reverse slop to it.

It's about the simplest to change holder you could imagine. Very fast and accurate enough for drilling holes.

In a radial drill gravity holds the collar in the locked position. In a horizontal spindle that is not the case. I suspect the locking collar might release unexpectedly.

In a radial drill gravity holds the collar in the locked position. In a horizontal spindle that is not the case. I suspect the locking collar might release unexpectedly.

That's my question. I use these regularly. Same tooling is used on both radial and HBM. It's dumb to have to pop a drill out of a quick change adapter so I can run it in the HBM.

Back