What's new
What's new

In search of Hendey Taper Attachment Part

Metalurgent

Cast Iron
Anyone parting out a Tiebar Conehead 14x6 Hendey?
I need the casting that attaches the taper attachment to the back of the cross slide..
It looks like a big, slotted cast-iron skillet handle..;-)
I could weld something up that would work but I would like an original..
Let me know,

Thanks.

Metalurgent

I think I have what you need. I’ll chech and get some pictures in the morning. I have a whole machine I’ve been meaning to part out

That would be excellent, thank you.
If it helps, the "wide" end that attaches to the cross slide is about 5 3/4" across, the mounting holes are +/- 4 3/4" on center.

Looking forward to your reply.

Metalurgent.

13C70C78-7F11-4FC4-BED3-5049BE8456C8.jpg0E171A87-C14D-4252-8B56-A5BE378EA4EC.jpg

Sorry for the late response.. the day got away from me. Unfortunately my lathe is smaller than I remembered. Haven’t looked at this lathe in years.

Hi, and thanks for your photos...
Unfortunately, it does look like your yoke is from a smaller machine.
It looks ideal...I just need its big brother.:-)

Perhaps posting some photos of the complete lathe would invite offers from 12" Hendey owners.

All the best,

Metalurgent

I'd be interested in knowing if it's a 12" tie-bar you're going to "part out".I'm looking for some taper attachment parts as well
Thanks
Steve Swenson

I made one for my Hendey 14x6 gearhead. Hendey 8-speed gearhead lathe restoration s/n 12064 Sketches #108, pattern making #110 and #111, casting #124, machining #134 and #135.
Patternpattern_slotted_link5_pm.jpg
Castingslotted_link_first_pm.JPG
Finished and fittedslotted_link_fitted_pm.JPG
I still have the pattern, and could get another cast for you, if you want to machine it and make one for your lathe. I am in the UK, so it would cost a bit more to ship, but it's not a very heavy casting so I don't think that would be outrageous. I will be going to the foundry in the next few weeks. If you are interested, PM me, and I will ask what it would cost for another casting.

David.

Another needy Hendey owner

I think I have what you need. I’ll chech and get some pictures in the morning. I have a whole machine I’ve been meaning to part out

I am also looking for taper attachment parts . Nos. 5,7,and 10 on page 70 .thank you

I made one for my Hendey 14x6 gearhead. Hendey 8-speed gearhead lathe restoration s/n 12064 Sketches #108, pattern making #110 and #111, casting #124, machining #134 and #135.
PatternView attachment 250734
CastingView attachment 250735
Finished and fittedView attachment 250736
I still have the pattern, and could get another cast for you, if you want to machine it and make one for your lathe. I am in the UK, so it would cost a bit more to ship, but it's not a very heavy casting so I don't think that would be outrageous. I will be going to the foundry in the next few weeks. If you are interested, PM me, and I will ask what it would cost for another casting.

David.

Nice work, David.
I would certainly be interested in how much something like this would cost to cast, but mostly out of curiosity.
I can rig up something easily enough to cut anything I would need. The search for an original part is mostly because I have plenty of time to do so and I have other lathes that can do the job.
It's more of a long term "Search for Hendey Completeness."
The Hendey made it all the way from 1917 almost intact.
The missing appendage is an irritation, and, frankly, I'd just like to restore its taper cutting mojo.
The few cuts I've made so far show it's a real beast.

Back